VRU . - P. HN x Reader

Narrator

You could call all those dystopian society movies or post-apocalyptic world theories scary, but you'd never call reality scary...

Would you?

"VRU, is the next step in life. The future of earth. Join the Universe and forget about the Metaverse."

The ad that would ring in everyone's ears. The huge billboard you'd see on your way to any non-virtual related activities.

It was the message everyone in the world had heard by now.

It had been playing all over the world for a year now and 98.5% of the population on Earth had already uploaded themselves onto the platform.

- Y/N POV -

"We'll discuss this at our next meeting. We need to make a decision before the fiscal year ends," The CEO told the whole company.

I sighed out in annoyance and disconnected from the Metaverse.

The whole company had been debating on whether we should stay in the Metaverse or move over to VRU.

I personally hated both concepts.

I hated VRU the most though.

I was in the 1% percent that voted against making such concept legal.

In the Metaverse, you could at least take off your gear set and reconnect back to the real world, but with VRU...

You were injected with a microchip behind your ear that stuck with you for life.

"Stupid," I mumbled under my breath.

I took a deep breath and put on my jacket.

"Stupid," I sighed out as I put on my shoes.

I walked out of my apartment and made my way over to my usual restaurant.

"Fucking stupid," I thought to myself as I saw the same dumbass man fighting with the 'retro vending machine'.

He would fight with the same vending machine in the apartment complex lobby every day. He always said that the machine was retro for still accepting digital pay.

He wasn't wrong in a way. Most vending machines nowadays, and basically everything else, required your fingerprint for payment. So, he wasn't entirely wrong.

"I still don't understand why you love this place so much. You make good money, why don't you go live in a regular apartment?" The man fighting with the machine asked me the same crap he always does.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance and just ignored him.

Truth was, I liked where I lived.

Aside from having to use my fingerprint to enter my apartment, the building was what I grew up with.

It didn't have fancy vending machines in the lobby, rent was cheap, I had to manually turn on my lights, manually open my windows, manually clean my space, there was no room service for when I got hungry, it was just a regular place.