Staying Distracted

Coming out of the bathroom, the cabin was quiet except for the crackling of the fire. The sage Grams had lit earlier was now out and only hints of it remained in the air. The wood in the fireplace was going strong but the Alpha added an extra large log anyway and lit some more sage.

Sitting down, Adam couldn't wait for Max and Parker to start. Him not being at the station for situations like this wouldn't be such a big deal if there were two Deputies to back him up. His number was posted on the door and everyone in town had it if they couldn't get him at the station. He still needed to go into the city for uniforms. If Xael was still not doing well by then, he'd take her to Grams.

His phone was nearby as he knew he would get a call from someone, it's just how it went.  Adam laid down with Xael in the meantime since things were fairly quiet. He could still smell a faint scent of blood but it was bearable.

Adam's eyes flashed open after only two hours of rest; there was a vehicle coming down the road. Adam sat up and raised his head to sniff the air; it was Skylar and Grams. Looking around, the fire was getting low so he got up to add a few more smaller logs, it was cold but the sky was overcast and the interior of the cabin was kind of chilly. Turning to his Mate, he had to laugh softly at the sight on the floor. The pups were sprawled all over her after he had gotten up. Dozer was on his back with paws stretched everywhere and Tank was laying with his back to her but his head towards her feet, his bushy tail almost covering her face. Three peas in a pod.

Adam covered Xael with a blanket as he heard them coming up the steps.

'Come on in, the doors not locked'

Adam linked Skylar since he didn't want to yell. Not that it would have woken Xael but it would have stirred the pups. Adam was sitting on the couch with Xael at his feet, the pups didn't even move. Skylar grabbed some chairs from the kitchen table for him and Emma.

"How's she doing hon?"

"I put her to sleep, she hasn't moved since and those two little hooligans haven't either. Everything get unloaded?"

"Yeah, Ted and Max will be by to drop off Xael's jeep."

"Okay, so what happened today?"

"It all just happened so fast. Me and Xael had parked and were walking to join the others for lunch when Trevor called her name. He immediately started in on her, accusing her of ruining things for him. She tried to walk away but he wasn't having it. I linked Skylar to come thinking Trevor would back down if a stronger Alpha was there but he didn't. Again Xael tried to walk away when he charged Skylar and Xael just attacked him."

"Em's right Adam. I've never seen Xael so protective like that. She knows I could have handled him, but something was different about her today. Once he stabbed her...I've never seen anything like that. The way she was almost about to shift and the ferocity that she went after him, it was like a mother protecting its young."

"Whoa. I didn't know Xael could be like that."

"Me either. It was like she didn't feel pain at all, even with the knife still in her gut. It's only afterwards that she returned to being Xael. I think even she was shocked at what she had done." Ms. Emma could only look over at her covered in blankets. Adam wouldn't let anyone near her now, not even Grams which was understandable. One of the pups woke up at the sound of voices. Still half asleep, Dozer wobbled over and put himself between the Elders and his momma. Laying back down, with his little face resting on Adam's foot, he never took his eyes off of them. Skylar was quick to take notice.

"Those two. They are just as protective as her boys. That's really strange for pups so little Adam."

"I know, we've really bonded with them almost instantly. I can't explain it."