Mom, We Killed Dinner!*

Xael turned and looked. "Oh, you don't have to do that Deputy, it's on our way home."

"It's all right, besides I can turn my lights on so no one hits you."

"Oh, thank you Deputy Shado that's an excellent idea!"

Xael gave her grandma a look, she knew there was no sense in arguing.

"Fine. Let's go then." Xael grabbed the car parts, her bag and walked defeated towards the cruiser, her pups right behind her. This time it wasn't the police cruiser but an old Ford Bronco. She stood for a moment in confusion.

"No police cruiser?"

"Nope, I'm off the clock. Let's go get your jeep fixed."

He opened the back door for the dogs to jump in but they just stood there and looked at Xael.

"In." The pups jumped in and laid down on the back seat. She opened the passenger door and sat the battery and belt on the floor board.

Shado got in and the four headed to her jeep, She hoped nothing had bothered it or hit it for that matter.

"So tell me about your pups." Shado was trying to make small talk. They were halfway to the jeep and she hadn't said a word, the silence was driving him crazy.

"Silver one is Gunner, darker one is Moose."

"What kind of dogs are they?"

"They're not dogs, they're wolf hybrids." She thought of asking him if his hearing was good cause she was sure she had already answered the question about her pups that morning.

"Really? Which one is the Alpha?"

"Me."

Shado could tell she was getting irritated. He reached to turn on the radio.

"Can we leave that off?"

"Uh sure, it's going to make for a quiet ride."

"That's fine."

He wasn't going to win this round which was fine as they pulled up on the jeep. Xael was glad she had the battery as the lights were no longer working. Getting out of the Bronco, she let the pups out of the back seat.

"Go!" With that, the two were off running into the woods.

"You just let them run like that, aren't you afraid for them getting lost?"

"No. They know to stay close."

"You don't like to talk much do you?"

"No. Not when there's work to do."

Shado shook his head as she picked up the battery and belt and made her way to the back of her jeep. Setting the items on the ground she opened the rear door, her tool box was easily accessible. She grabbed only the tools she needed and a pair of gloves, digging out her keys she unlocked the driver side door and popped the hood. Opening the hood, she saw she would need more light.

"Will you grab the mag light out of the driver side door?"

"Sure."

Xael walked back and grabbed the battery and belt, the two meeting at the front of the jeep.

"I'll be right back, don't leave the front of the jeep." Deputy Shado stepped off behind a tree. Xael already knew what he was doing so she got to work on changing out the batteries.

By the time he returned, she had the old battery already out and the new one in, waiting to be connected.

"Need any help?"