Now What??

Back in the vehicle and returning home via the highway, they were both upset. Everyone they thought would know something either didn't or wasn't talking.

"How can any of this be natural? Who goes around with large ass ears and a tail?!"

"Right now, you do babe."

"Alright Goldie, you're in the same damn boat. Now I'm hungry." Xael huffed and crossed her arms, still frustrated.

"Goldie?  Let's grab something from the drive thru, I'm not gonna last till we get home. Being worked up has made me even hungrier."

"Same here." Xael looked in the back seat, but the hoodie she thought was there wasn't. She would just have to make sure her ears were pinned to her head while they went through the drive thru. Turning back to the front, she let out a huge yawn then caught a whiff of something. Leaning over to her Mate, she sniffed at him.

"That's not me!"

"Is that me?" Xael pulled her shirt at the collar and sniffed again. "Whoa... Gimme a break!!  Now my scent is changing too?"

"I know, why do you think I have my window down."

Xael closed her eyes and concentrated hard on reaching her Wolf grandparents but got nothing. Crossing her arms, she growled yet again, the day was becoming one huge frustrating disappointment.

"Damn you smell good babe."

"Eyes on the road Alpha!" Xael decided it would be safer to roll her window down also. The last thing she needed today was for her Mate to go into rut while driving down the highway.

Back into the city, they both agreed on stopping at McD's for some burgers. They would just eat in the vehicle on the way to town and Xael would fix something once they got there.    Adam cursed under his breath at hitting every red light along the way.  At one such stop, a truck pulled up to them on Xael's side. She was tall enough that you couldn't see her ears which were clamped to her head. Bad thing was that she had her window down and her scent was strong. The other bad thing is the truck contained Alphas.

The driver rolled his window down and howled to get Xael's attention. She quickly glanced at him, just enough to see but not enough for him to get a glimpse of her eyes. The unwanted attention did nothing but piss Adam off but he tried to ignore it, knuckles whitening as his grip on the steering wheel tightened.

"Hey! Look at me when I howl for ya baby!"

Not a very smart move to make.

Before Xael knew what was going on, Adam leaned over, his long arm allowed him to almost hang out the window while still holding the steering wheel. Canines bared and eyes blazing red due to his anger, Adam snarled at the Alpha.

The Alpha in the truck was so startled that he gunned it into oncoming traffic, slamming on breaks just seconds before t-boning a van.  Adam quickly composed himself as the light turned green.

"Thanks hon."

"Yup." Adam's voice was noticeably deeper, surprising both of them. "Great... now I'm going through fucking puberty also."

"I'll keep trying to get a hold of the other Grandparents."

"Good idea babe."

The drive-thru was accomplished without any more drama or howling from strange Alphas. Adam used a pair of shades that were hanging from the rearview mirror to hide his eye color. Even for Wolfen, the color was not normal and he didn't need any more attention focused on him. They both inhaled the burgers and drinks, it would just have to be enough to hold them over for now. If Adam had known that the trip would be for nothing, they would have just stayed home.