Surprise Dad!

Getting off the phone, Adam rubbed his neck.

'Adam? You okay?'

'I'm fine babe, we'll talk after a bit.'

'Okay.'

Xael finished up the desserts and the order was picked up before the lunch Rush. For lunch, Xael quickly took the guys at the station their food. Max and Parker still couldn't get over how good they had it being Tribal officers. No one shooting at them, cussing them out or trying to spit on them and no asshole boss to deal with. Free, delicious meals while on duty and there were puppies in the office.

Chris, Eli and Ted were busy with construction jobs. While Chris and Eli worked on the covered patio for the diner, Ted was busy working on renovation work. A lot of the store owners wanted the space above their businesses turned into apartments. Most already had them, they were just old and outdated and hadn't been lived in for years. The trio wanted to get as much work done as they could before winter came and shut them down.

With the day at the diner winding down, Xael checked with James to make sure he was coming out for dinner tomorrow . He told her that he wasn't about to miss a home cooked meal. The two sat and chatted for a bit. Xael wanted to make sure he had everything he needed and he did. Working at the diner part time had allowed him to really grow his side business so he was set financially.

Diner closed up for the day, Xael took Max and Parker more leftovers for their dinner. The two more than grateful for the kind gesture. Adam had some paperwork to finish up so Xael took the pups out behind the diner to play and use the bathroom. She took a plastic bag to clean up after them.

Paperwork done, Pups all played out, they were ready to head into the city. Adam let the guys know to call if anything came up. Ready to go, Adam didn't even bother changing out of his uniform. The call from Beau was still bothering him.

"Adam? What's wrong? You've been upset since this morning?"

"Yeah. I'd rather talk about it when we get home."

"Is everything okay."

"Things will be fine Xael." Adam held her hand the entire way into the city.

Finally in the city, Adam stopped at a nearby park so Xael could let the pups run around while he called his dad. Being in an unfamiliar place, the Pups stuck close to their momma as they wrestled around in the grass.

"Hi dad!"

"Whoa, hey son, I still can't get used to that voice of yours!"

"Ha hahaaa. Are you busy?"

"Nope, just doing some paperwork. What's up?"

"Me and Xael are in the city and wanted to stop by to see you."

"Feel free to stop by, I'm at the office on campus."

"Okay. Is it alright if we bring the Pups?"

"Sure, but be prepared to get stopped so folks can pet them."

"That's fine. See you soon."

Adam walked over to Xael who was sitting on a bench as the little ones played a few feet from her, ignoring the squirrels that were nearby.

"Ready babe?"

"Yeah."

"How you feeling?"

"Fine, just a little tired."

"We get home, you're resting."

"No, you're going to tell me what's going on."

"Then you rest."