Powwow ~ Time for Dancing*

[**Long Chapter**]

Making it back to her Grams and the other ladies, Xael did all the heavy work for them. They had given her an apron so she wouldn't get her dress soiled.   After setting up their cooking area was done, it was time for the opening ceremony. As the women made their way to the circle that was forming, the men that had been getting ready near the cars came forward.

They were all magnificently dressed. One in particular stood out to Xael. He was dressed in white with red, orange and blue regalia. Outsiders were trying to get them to stop for photos but they kindly refused as they made their way to the circle.

Xael left her pups back at the cook area. The two were resting under a huge shade tree, their water bowls full so they would be fine.  The pups knew to stay put also.

As the opening ceremony got under way, Deputies Shado and Beau stood on each side of Xael. She turned and smiled at each of them, complimenting them on how handsome they both looked.  The Sheriff was next to her Grams, holding her hand.   A few of the Elders were in the middle of the huge circle, blessing everyone as they smudged those that wanted to be, including the drums and drummers.  Xael's grandmother was asked to do the Honor song.   After the ceremony was over, Shado asked Xael if she knew where he could get some water from. She led him back to the frybread area.

Her Grandmother saw the two of them walking together. "Stop you two!" They both turned to see a huge smile on her face.

"You two are absolutely gorgeous next to each other!"

"Thank you Ms. Emma!" Shado looked over at Xael who he could tell was getting embarrassed. A first for him to see the confident woman act shy.

"Oh! The couples dance is coming up! You two have to lead it. No, is not an option!"

Xael went to decline but Shado beat her to a reply.

"Sure thing Ms. Emma!"

He looked at Xael who had a frown on her face. "You two...partners in crime."  Xael teased them, but she meant what she had said.

"I can't help it Xael, you are a beautiful woman." She turned to look at him. She gave him a gentle smile but didn't say anything to him.

Leading him to the where the pups where, she placed her shawl and fan on a chair and reached into a cooler and got him a bottle of water.

"Make sure you guys stay hydrated, I mean it."

"Mn."

He finished the entire water bottle. "Thanks."

"Where are you guys staying?"

"Sheriff has us set up under a shade tree. Next to the other guys."

"You have water over there?"

"I don't think so."

Xael sighed. "Help me with this." She asked one of the Elder ladies where the cases of water were located. She pointed Xael to a pallet. Much to Shado's surprise, she grabbed his hand and led him over there. They each grabbed a case of water and she asked him to take them to where they were at. As they made their way over there, the drumming started, causing her heart to jump out of happiness. They soon reached the area.

"Hey Xael, what's this?"

"You guys need to stay hydrated while you dance. Will you make sure everyone that's taking part gets some? If you need more, come find me."

"Sure!! Thanks Pup, we were wondering where the water was." Skylar was opening the plastic wrap and handing out bottles of water to those around the tree.  Shado sat down as he and Beau made sure things were secured for the intense dancing coming up.  Xael stopped to talk to them for a bit when a little girl ran up to the group.  They heard her before she got too close as she had on an adorable pink and and white jingle dress.  Xael took notice of her immediately as she was also mixed with the same dark complexion as her.  Xael saw the little girl's mom running to catch her, so Xael knelt down and the little one ran right into her arms, surprising all the guys.