The BBQ ~ #1

Xael busied herself again with preparing the meat for Adam to cook. She was so wrapped up in what she was doing that she was oblivious to the truck pulling up outside their cabin. Ms. Emma and Skylar walked around to the back. Adam was cleaning off the deck area and had the large grill heating up. He looked up at them both and smiled, but the Elders could both tell that something was off.

"Adam? Hon what's going on?" Ms. Emma approached him as Skylar went back for the last of the chairs. Adam took a deep sigh and looked into the house.

"The pups left a few minutes ago. The others came for them. Xael is still pretty emotional about it, heck we both are."

"Ohh my! So soon?" Just then Skylar was coming back to the deck.

"What's so soon?"

"Wes hon, Xael's boys are gone, for good. The others came and took them to the pack."

"Whoa. How's she doing?"

"She's keeping it together. She was surprised by it. Guess they are getting all the young Alphas together to prepare them for their winter hunt."

"I'll go in and help her, you two stay here." Ms. Emma wanted to get inside to see how her grandaughter was doing. Xael had her back to the patio door and was moving about the kitchen. Normally she would have sensed her Grams but not this time. "Xael dear?"

She turned around, her eyes were still teary. Wet hands and all, Xael went to her Grandma for a much needed hug.

"Oh Grammy, my boys are gone."

"I know dearheart." Her Grams rubbed her back and released a gentle soothing scent. "They'll be fine hon. You're Grandfather won't let anything happen to them."

"Mn. That's what Adam said."

"Don't forget they're still close by."

"True." Xael was feeling better about everything. If she ever wanted to see them all she had to do was go into the woods. But, they needed their freedom and independence now, not momma hanging over them. "I'm just so used to having them next to me."

"Yes, but you have an Alpha now dear. It's his turn to protect you."

Xael smiled. Her Grandma always knew how to make her feel better, next to her Alpha. Xael had been so wrapped up in her boys leaving that she forgot about her Uncle and cousin coming. She would let it be a surprise. Xael finished up the tray of ribs that needed to cook for a while, her Grams offered to take it out to the guys as . While she was gone, Xael texted her cousin to make sure they were still coming out and they were. In fact they had just gotten to town and were headed to their cabin now. They would be the first guest to arrive.

{Adam, my uncle and cousin are on their way!}

{Okay babe}

{Will you keep Grams out there?}

{I'll try}

The rest of the meat was all trayed up and ready for the grill. Xael wrapped them and set them in the fridge. Now she needed to start on the potato salad. Pot on the stove and water boiling, she set the potatoes out. Trying to keep her Grams out back for as long as possible, Xael took them some ice tea to drink while they all sat and enjoyed the nice day.

"Xael hon, do you need help?"

"No Grammy, you just relax and enjoy."

Going back inside, Xael picked up a vehicle coming down the road. The potatoes for the potato salad would have to wait. Rushing to the front yard, her cousin's vehicle was pulling into the drive. She was there to greet them with huge hugs! Her Uncle could tell she had been crying but she didn't want to talk about it. For the rest of the day she wanted to enjoy her family and friends. She led them around the side of their cabin and to the back where everyone was at.