Letting Go of the Past #1

Back at the station, it was a slow day and that's just how they liked it. Shado and Beau were busy organizing files. Earlier Beau had congratulated Adam on his upcoming promotion. After his phone call with Emma, Skylar called for Adam.

"Adam?"

"Yes sir?"

"You're coming home with me, Xael's out at the house resting. I guess today wore her out."

"Okay, I have some things to pick up from my place first. Should only take a few minutes." Adam closed his eyes to see if he could check in with his Mate but she was unresponsive. He didn't worry that much as she was with her Grandma. Adam and Beau continued with the files while Skylar worked on wrapping things up to finally retire. For lunch they guys just ordered pizza like they had done a million times before. Adam was actually ready for the day to end. He really wanted to get to his Mate as he was just a little worried about her.

Since the day was a quiet one, Skylar let Adam and Beau take off a little early while he finished some paperwork. The two young Alphas wasted no time in getting out of the station. Adam jogged up to his apartment. He quickly changed into some sweats and grabbed the items that he wanted to burn out by the lodge. Heading back downstairs and out the door, he saw Skylar locking up for the day.

"Ready to head out?"

"Yes sir, I have everything I need."

Getting into Skylar's truck, Adam relaxed into the the seat. He placed the bundle on the floor and rolled down the window for some fresh air. Skylar's Alpha scent was a little too strong for him but he let it go as he already knew why.

"Did Ms. Emma say how the meeting with the detectives went?"

"No, she said we would talk later tonight. I'm sure it went fine Adam. Houser was there with them."

"Yeah."

The two drove in silence to the house in the woods. As Adam stared out the window, he couldn't believe that he was now living in this wooded sanctuary.

"God it's beautiful out here."

"That it is."

"So have you and Pup gotten settled into the cabin yet?"

"No not yet. I think Xael is planning on working on some things this week since she has it off. She's gonna crap when I tell her you promoted me to Sheriff."

"Ha ha ha haaaa. Yeah she probably will. But you deserve it Adam. You're a good cop and everyone in town respects you and Beau both."

"That's good to know. This job has been a blessing in more ways than one."

As they pulled into the drive the house and surrounding area was eerily quiet. Skylar could sense that it caused Adam to worry slightly.

"Everythings fine son. It gets like this out here every now and then. The wild ones must be around, that's all."

Adam smiled in relief as they made their way inside. Ms. Emma was still resting as Skylar quietly made it way over to her. Adam meanwhile went to his Mate as well.

Moose lifted his head to see who had entered. Seeing it was only his momma's Mate, he laid back down. Adam gently sat on the bed and nuzzled into his Omega. She was out like a sack of potatoes. Hearing voices in the living room, he left her to talk to Ms. Emma.

"Hello dear."

"Hi Ms. Emma. Xael okay?"

"Yes hon, she's just needed to rest for a bit." Ms. Emma saw the bundle in his hands. "You ready to release all of that?" With a heavy sigh, Adam responded to her.

"Yes ma'am."

The Elder went to the fireplace mantle and gave Adam a few twigs of sage. She explained what all he needed to do. Afterwards he was to spend some time reflecting, once he was done with that, he needed to smudge himself and return to the house. Most importantly he was not, under any circumstances to look back. Adam told her he understood and made his way to the back door.

Shado made his way alone down the sweat lodge trail to the fire pit. He stopped to look around. The day was a perfect day for releasing things. There was a gentle breeze and the smell of the forest was thick in the air. Shado grabbed a smaller log, taking out his buck knife, he made a large pile of wood shavings. He just wanted a small fire, nothing that would last as he had no intention of spending a lot of time down there by himself.

With a healthy pile of wood shavings now assembled, he heard rustling in the woods behind him. He didn't think much of it until he heard twigs snapping under heavy footsteps. Turning around, he was face to face with the large pack Alpha; Xael's Grandfather. Shado almost fell backwards but quickly gathered himself. All he could do was stare at the imposing creature before him. The Alpha sat, still keeping the young Wolfen locked in his gaze. If that wasn't enough for Shado to deal with, the Alpha suddenly linked him.

{Don't let my presence stop you, young Alpha, please continue}

All the items Shado had in his hand fell to the ground.

"Holy shit...you can link me!"

{I can link anyone, young Alpha. Continue with your ceremony.}

Shado was reluctant to turn and finish but, he came out there with a purpose. He gathered the items off the ground and made a small pile with the shavings, igniting it. Shado lit the piece of sage Ms. Emma had given him and placed it off to the side. Next he placed his hair, the photo of him and his late Mate along with other small items onto the pile. As they ignited, the great Alpha howled, long and deep.

They both sat there, ashes floating up into the air, a female doe walked past. She wasn't concerned with the large wolf at all. She quietly walked just out of sight but Shado saw her.

{You're a good Mate for my granddaughter. Thank you young Alpha. Take good care of her, she's very special, to all of us.}

Shado looked the Alpha in the eyes. "I will, thank you, what...what is she?" The question even surprised Shado, here he was having a conversation with a wolf he wasn't even sure existed. The Alpha shifted into a human form. It was just shy of being a solid physical body, but none the less he was human now.

"Whoa..."

The now 'human' Alpha stretched, bones popping into place, he was oblivious to his nakedness. To him it was just a natural part of being.

"Much better! It's been a long time since I was upright! You're a fine Wolfen Adam. I'm glad my granddaughter chose you. To answer your question. She's a hybrid, an extremely rare and powerful hybrid. The only one of her kind as far as I know. Xael is a cross between a Spirit Wolf and a Wolfen. Her father was a Spirit wolf."

"Wait, Xael said that you asked the Alpha to take your spirit when you died."

"That's not entirely true." The Alpha chuckled. "She was so young back then...The Alpha is me, it's my wolf self. You see as Spirit Wolves we can separate our two selves. Or, we can choose to remain as one. When the pack was attacked, some of us seperated, just in case. My 'human' body was dying so what was left merged with my wolf self. You see we have incredible healing powers, but we can not bring back the dead. Luckily, what remained of my human form was saved, it took some time but I was able to merge the two halves back together. Unfortunately the body was too weak and eventually died off, that is why what you see before you is somewhat of an illusion and can not be maintained for long. Also it was too late for my Mate. Her human half died trying to save our Pup."

Just then a beautiful white wolf emerged from the woods with blazing gold eyes, she approached the older Alpha and sat next to him. Her eyes studied Shado.

"Adam, this is my Mate Ja'an, Xael's other Grandmother"