The Nightmare Continues*

As her Grandma, Skylar and Shado chatted at the dining table, Xael was ready to go back to bed. Having eaten, her full belly combined with the stress and exhaustion from the day had caught up with her. Not wanting to disturb anyone, she quietly got up and walked towards her room.

"Xael?"  Shado was still worried about her. He stopped her with a hand to her arm. She looked down at him with a soft smile.

"I need to sleep." With that, she continued to walk off.

"She must be exhausted." Skylar also had a watchful eye on her as he got up and took Xael's plate to the sink.

"Xael get's like that when she's tired Adam, she shuts down."  Ms. Emma reached across the table and patted his arm to reassure him.

Shado looked back at his new Mate to make sure she really was fine. Turning back to Ms. Emma, she still had a smile on her face.

"I'm glad she let you know you're her Mate. I didn't think she'd tell you so soon."

"Yeah, we talked for a bit. God, she smells amazing."

"What? She let you scent her?"

"Just a little. Then she kind of pushed me away. Why?"

"Xael has never let her scent free. She must really trust you."

"It was barely noticeable, she only did it for a few seconds."

"I see." Ms. Emma noticed the young Alpha kept looking back towards the bedroom. "Go to her hun, you're her Mate now, she won't mind."

The Deputy made his way to the room after saying good night. Ms. Emma and Skylar also turned in for the night. The Sheriff made sure the house was locked up for the night. Not that he needed to, Emma never locked her doors, but he did it out of habit.

When Shado entered the room, Xael was already asleep, the pups both lying along the foot of the bed. They raised their heads as soon as they heard the door move. Seeing who it was, they laid back down, deep sighs leaving both of them.  Shado was already dressed for bed. He had on sweats and a t-shirt which he put on after rinsing off in the outdoor shower.

The soft amber glow of a salt lamp illuminated the room. He was glad she had laid in the middle of the bed. He carefully slid in next to her and started to wrap his arm around her when she quickly sat up and looked at him. He had startled her awake.

"Hey, it's just me Xael!"

She immediately relaxed. He didn't know it but she had extended her claws and was about to strike him as her hands were hidden under the blankets. Xael was so out of it she had forgotten he would sleep with her.

"Sorry! I thought you knew it was me!"

Suddenly there was a knock at the door.  Shado couldn't see it, but Xael's eyes had gone over to red as she had her back against the light.

"Yeah?"  Xael answered the knock. Her Grandmother opened the door.

"What's wrong?"  

Xael whipped her head towards the door, the light from the living room reflected in her red eyes.

"Nothing, everything is fine." There was still irritation in Xael's voice.

"Then why are your eyes red Xael?"

"Fuck..." she spoke under her breath. "I'm fine Grams, he just startled me that's all."

"Ok..." Ms. Emma shut the door and returned to her room.