Conversations

Everyone loaded up in the jeep, they headed down the dirt road. Adam's dad was going to stay the night and have dinner with his Grandma for a change. Before the tires had a chance to hit pavement, Xael and the Pups were snoozing. Adam slowed the jeep to a halt and put it in park. He carefully reached over and leaned his Mate's seat back so she would be comfortable. He could tell she was tired because she didn't even wake up when the seat reclined. At least she was getting some much needed rest.

The drive back to the reservation was a quiet one and gave Adam time to think about things. He would put in for time off tomorrow. Now that he had Max and Parker, he could relax knowing that things at the station would be taken care of. Adam wanted to be there for Xael's last month of pregnancy and at least a month afterwards so that he could bond with his Pups. Then there was the problem of where to put the Pups once they got older. So many things to think about and none of it was going to get solved today.

Pulling into town it was almost 5pm and things were settling down for the evening. Adam felt it best to wake Xael as he turned onto Cutler's Pass.

"Babe?"

"Hm!" Adam's booming voice woke her up with just one word. Looking around Xael was a little out of it. Returning her seat to its upright position, she yawned and went to stretch but stopped when a cramp hit her.

"Mmph!"

"Xael!?"

"I'm okay, I'm okay, just a baby cramp." She chuckled at the phrase baby cramp. Adam, not satisfied with the reason, gently placed his hand on her stomach.

"Settle down you two." Xael placed her hands over his and smiled at him. He was going to be such a wonderful father and Alpha to their Pups. No matter how much pain she had to go through, it would all be worth it. Unfortunately she got just that as another massive cramp hit her causing her to double over in her seat. This time Adam stopped and pulled along the side of the road.

"Babe?"

"Crap that really hurt." She put her head down and took some deep breaths as Adam rubbed her back. The little ones picked up on their momma's distress and were whimpering from the back seat. Just then the passenger door flew open as Xael stuck her head out and vomited. Doing better, she rested back in her seat. "I'm fine now Adam."

"Well you don't look fine. Let's get you to Grams, we'll stay the night just to be safe."

"Mn."

Xael pulled the lever to let her seat back again and continued to breathe as Adam started up the Pass. The entire way to the house he rested his hand on her stomach, helping calm not only her but the Pups she now carried as well. Three months left and the babies would be growing like weeds and her pains were only going to get worse. Adam's calming touch worked a little too well as Xael was asleep again. Pulling up to the house, he used his link with Skylar to ask for him to help.

Jeep in park, Skylar was already on the porch and coming down the steps. Adam was out of the jeep in seconds.

"Adam what's going on?"

"She's out, she's started cramping on the way up here. Will you take care of the pups? I'm going to put her to bed."

Skylar opened the back door as Adam took Xael out of the jeep. When the fresh air hit her, she started to wake again.

"Why are you carrying me Adam?"

"Because you're not doing well Xael so don't argue." Adam growled to show that he was serious. Xael wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his shoulder. Skylar was walking behind them with his hands full of squirming furballs anxious to get to their momma. Walking in the front door, Grams was there in seconds after seeing Xael in Adam's arms. "She's not feeling well."