Visiting the Ex-Boss*

Shado and Xael took the steps back down to the entrance of his apartment. They met up with the others in front of the diner. Her grandmother had the cake box in her hands.

"Thanks Grams!"

"Xael, you driving?" Sheriff was holding out her keys to her.

"No, you can drive, we'll sit in the back."

"You sure? It's your jeep."

"Yeah, I don't feel like driving today." Skylar started to approach her but she instinctively moved behind Shado for protection. She knew he could probably smell what was left of her scent on her clothing. Shado looked back at her and smiled.

The men held the doors for the ladies, the Sheriff lending an arm for Ms. Emma. Shado and Xael sat in the back seat. Once Skylar entered the vehicle, he rolled his window down part way. As Xael looked to the front, she wondered why her Grams and the Sheriff never got together. They were close to the same age and were great friends, plus they always got along so well together. She would try her hand at matchmaking another day, for now they would enjoy some time in the city. Xael was a little nervous if she was being honest with herself. She usually had her pups with her or was going someplace she was familiar with. But not today.

"Adam?"

"Hm?"

"Will you stay close today while we're out?"

He wrapped his around her waist and pulled her over to him. "You not feeling good?"

"I'm fine, it just..." She didn't know how to explain it but he understood.

"Don't worry babe, I'll stay close."

She smiled and rested her head on his shoulder. Her grandma suddenly turned towards the back and leaned in and sniffed. Shado felt Xael move closer to him.

"Oh Xael! Is that you?"

Xael was getting nervous. "It's okay hun, it's barely noticeable, but my, you smell Divine!"

"It is noticeable. That's why the Sheriff has his window down. I didn't mean for it to happen." Xael wrapped her arms around herself as she tried to sink further into the Deputy. Skylar looked in the rearview mirror and smiled at her but he could see how nervous Xael was.

"Shado, stay close to Pup while you two are out."

"Yes sir, that was my plan."

As they drove they coordinated their plans. Shado asked to be dropped off at his old station, he would be there for about an hour. Then he wanted to walk down the street to a clothing store. Ms. Emma wanted to go to the bead store and the apothecary store.

Upon hearing apothecary, Xael moved away from the Deputy and dug in her bag for paper and pen and made a list of items she wanted. Sheriff was just glad to have the day off, he wanted to buy a new microwave and coffee pot for the station.

The day had warmed up and Xael was getting hot. Taking off the cardigan, she knew her scars would be visible. She had gotten used to being stared at so it didn't matter all that much; it was better than sweating all day. She would keep it with her if she needed to put it back on. Shado was looking at her for what had to have been the millionth time since they met. He leaned over to her and whispered in her ear.

"You know we're going into a police station, right?"

"Yeah..."

"No one's going to get any work done with that body of yours babe."