Unbelievable

Adam and Beau called it a night around 9pm. The others would hold down the fort during the night, switching off with two on/two off every few hours. Adam dragged himself upstairs and into the apartment. The tv was still going as his Omega laid in the bed fast asleep, surrounded by furry bundles. He went right to the bathroom to shower, putting on boxers afterwards.

Walking back out, the pups were awake but still laying by their momma. Adam walked over to them and nuzzled both of them. By now he'd missed them also and had grown closer to them.

"Keeping momma safe, furboys?"

They gave him a soft woof as the Alpha moved around the apartment.  Adam lit some more sage. Looking down on the street below, the town had returned to normal. Xael picked up her Alpha's scent and sat up, sleepy eyes looking around the apartment.

"Hey.." Xael's voice was soft and still full of exhaustion.

"Hey sleepy head." Adam walked over to the bed and crawled in. Xael moved over to him and wrapped her arms around him. The two didn't get to spend that much time together today so this moment was very much needed.  Xael nuzzled into him, purring softly.   Adam kissed her on the forehead and she laid down next to him, quickly going back to sleep. His silly little hybrid.

Earlier in the evening, Adam had gotten calls from his dad and Chief Houser. With Xael fast asleep again and some down time, he returned their calls. Adam would call Houser first as he knew his dad was a bit of a night owl.

"Hello Chief!"

"Hey Adam! How are you two doing?"

"Fine, been a long day. I just got off work."

"Oh wow, I didn't think that little town was that busy."

"It was today...and since I'm about to Sheriff soon!"

"Whoa! No kidding! That's awesome. Good. I'm happy for you, Skylar made a good choice."

"Thanks Chief. So what's going on? Sorry I couldn't talk earlier."

"Oh no problem. I actually had the same idea as Skylar. This is my last month with the force Adam. I'm retiring."

"Wow...I thought they'd have to pry you outta that chair. What changed?"

"I don't know. Ever since we spent time out there with you guys, I've missed it. It just felt so good to be there. I talked to Skylar the other day and I'm seriously thinking of moving out there."

"No shit!"

"No shit. I'm done with the city. I don't have kids, no Mate. That little town just feels right."

"Man what is going on! Everything is changing. Ms. Emma turned the dinner over to Xael today."

"Whoa...Well there's more. I'm not sure how or who's ass he's been kissing but somehow that asshole Strickland put in for Supervisor and got it."

Adam had to stop himself from yelling. "He did what!!?!!"

"You heard me. Guess it pays to have your daddy on the city council."

"That is sooo...I don't even know what it is."

"Yup. Max, Parker, Ted and James all turned in their notice to protest."

"Fuck...that's serious. What about the other guys? God I can't believe this! Strickland sucks ass as a cop!"

"They've all been reassigned. Guess Stricklands going replace everyone with his 'buddies'"

"Damn..." Adam needed a minute to think and let what he just heard soak in. "So what are Max and the guys gonna do?"

"Work till the end of the month and look for something else. Ted is thinking of moving back to Montana, he can get a job up there no problem. James is done with police work all together, he hasn't been here that long; I wouldn't' be surprised if he doesn't show up after today."

"This is so unbelievable. They're losing some good cops."

"Yup! But things are different now Adam, It's all gotten too political."

"Well it's good to know. I was actually going to call you guys to see if you wanted to get together again. Me and Xael have a house now. I was wanting to have a house party after we get settled in."

"Hey! Congratulations! Is it in town?"

"No, actually Skylar and my dad gifted us Skylar's cabin. He's going to be living with Ms. Emma now."

"I see. Good, those two go so well together."

"Yeah, I think Xael's relieved that her Grams won't be alone now since we've mated."

"True. Well, I'm heading out that way tomorrow, maybe we can meet up for lunch or something? I have a couple of places to look at, plus I need to talk to the Tribal Leaders to get permission to live on tribal land."

"Oh, that's right. If there's anything we can do just let us know."

"Will do. Well congratulations on the promotion and new house. I'll touch base with you tomorrow."

"Night Chief."

Adam gave his dad a call next, hopefully he didn't have any bombshells to drop on him like his old boss just did.

"Hey dad, I didn't' wake you, did I?"

"Nope, still working on somethings. I was just calling to see how Xael was doing after her run with that Alpha."

"Run with an Alpha?"

"Yeah, I guess one was blocking their way into the restaurant and Xael had to put him in his place."

"Ohhhhh, so that's why she's been so tired today. Yeah this entire day has been stressful for her. She's zonked out now."

"Good, I talked to Grams today. She said she knows what Xael is. She found it in one of her old books."

"Too late, I talked to her Grandfather today. He told me what she is."

"Really? How you managed to find the only unknown Hybrid is beyond me."

"That makes two of us!"

"What else did her Grandfather say?"

"He pretty much told me to take care of her or I'll have hell to pay."

Adam's dad had to laugh. "Well add your Great Grams to that list. Both of us want you to keep her real identity a secret."

"Oh I intend to. Do you know when you're going to come out to visit?"

"Well I'm headed out of town tomorrow so probably when I get back."

"Oh guess what?"

"I'm listening."

"I'm going to be the new Sheriff at then end of this month. Skylar is retiring."

"That's Great Adam! I'm so proud of you and glad that you left the city to return to tribal land. That town is going to have another great Sheriff. Congratulations son."

"Thanks dad. I still can't believe it."

"I have no doubt that you'll do a good job."

"Thanks. Hey? I'm planning on having a get together for our new home and I'd love for you to be there."

"Nice. I get back next Tuesday so I'm free that weekend."

"Okay, I let you know what day. Night dad, love you."

"Night Adam, love you too."

Adam shut off the t.v. and laid down next to his Mate. Xael snuggled up to him as she purred away.