Home Cooked Meal*

Xael made it to the cabin and pulled off to the side so Deputy Shado could park in the drive. Grams heard vehicles pull up and went to the front porch. Seeing two cars, she became curious, in an excited way.

Xael was at the back of her Jeep, pulling the cooler out to take into the house. Grandma turned her attention to the young Deputy.

"Why Deputy Shado, two nights in a row? You're starting to make this a pleasant habit." Xael gave her grams a look. "I was just about to fix dinner hun."

Xael stopped at the door. "I'll cook tonight grams. The hooligans over there decided to kill two rabbits while we fixed my Jeep. I got one in the cooler for dinner tonight."

Grandma might have been an Elder, but she was ornery. "And why is Deputy Shado here?" Her Grams had the cutest inquisitive voice.

"Because Ms. Emma, I'm the one that cleaned it! At least I think that's why I'm here. Your granddaughter doesn't talk much."

"Ooohhhh, I see. By all means."

Xael motioned for the pups to go inside as her grams held the door for them. Pulling the rabbit from the cooler, Xael followed, her grams smacked her on the ass.

"Ow! What was that for?"

"You know why!" Xael chuckled and headed to the kitchen, commanding the pups to sit by the door.

As Deputy Shado entered, Grams made him stop.

"Yes ma'am?"

"You need to be smudged, wait here."

Xael returned with a towel to wipe the pup's paws, after that they were free to go. The two pups jumped on the couch. Xael told them to get on the floor but her grandma spoiled them and allowed them on it. Xael returned to the kitchen to fix dinner.

Grandma grabbed an owl's wing off the mantle and her sage bundle along with a match. As the Elder woman lit the bundle, the Deputy inhaled deeply. Standing in front of her, arms out to his side, she fanned the smoke at him. The pungent but relaxing aroma wafted around him. It had been years since someone had smudged him. Ms. Emma could see him relax. When she finished, she tapped him on the chest with the wing.

"All done! Have a seat." She returned the items to their resting place and went back to her beadwork and rocking chair. Shado made his way to the kitchen to help Xael with dinner. Once he entered she turned and looked at him with frowns on her face.

"Out!"

He put his hands up as a sign of peace and went back to the living room. Ms. Emma was laughing at him. "Pull up a chair Deputy."

"Please, call me Adam ma'am."

The Elder smiled at him as he set his weapon on the small table next to him. There was no need for it anymore. "Xael doesn't like anyone to bother her when she cooks."

"So I gather." He saw she was working on regalia. "You going to the powwow Ms. Emma?"

"Oh yes!! I never miss 'em! Plus, I offered to cook up fry bread."

Soon the smell of onions and veggies started filling the house. He turned to look into the kitchen.

"You going to dance Adam?"

"Ma'am?"

"At the powwow? Will you dance?"

"Oh! Yes ma'am. Beau offered to help me get my things together and dress once we get there."

"Awesome! I would love it if Xael would dance. She's an excellent dancer. Xael! Come in here!"

Xael walked in, a dish towel over her shoulder. "Yes ma'am?"