That was a Bad One*

Everyone's attention was focused on the large dog as he stood there.  Gunner walked over to Deputy Shado and placed one of his huge paws on his thigh.

"Looks like your needed hun!" Ms. Emma smiled at him.

Shado stood and followed Gunner back to the bedroom. Moose was sitting at the side of the bed looking at him as if he was waiting for him also. The ball under the blankets moved, letting out a muffled whimper.  Shado gently sat on the bed, his eyes on the pups, making sure it was ok for him to touch her. He gently placed a hand on the slow moving ball, causing it to whimper again.

"Xael?"

Shado kept his voice low as he didn't want to startle her. Slowly the ball elongated, a hand coming from under the blanket, he was suddenly staring into penetrating grey eyes. She sat up and looked around with eyes that were bloodshot and puffy. Without a word she moved closer to him, laying her head on his shoulder, she nuzzled her face into the side of his neck. He could feel her shaking. Gingerly he wrapped his arms around her, the shaking lessened.  Xael just rested against him, her hands moved to hold on to his waist.  Shado was at a lost as what to do other than hold her.

This was the first time she had been openly affectionate towards him, and his brain was having trouble processing things.

"Xael?"

"Hm." she sounded groggy and not all there.

"Are you okay?"

She didn't say anything, just sighed and moved closer to him, her arms now around him. He took a hand and slowly began to rub her back; he felt her sink into him, her shaking gone completely.

"Thank you Adam."

Her voice was raspy from all the screaming she had done earlier. She was also getting a splitting headache. She pulled back, without looking at him, she turned towards her pups. The next thing he knew, they left the room. Gunner returned with his service vest. Walking over to Shado, he jumped on the bed and dropped it in front of him.

Meanwhile, Moose trotted into the kitchen and sat in front of the sink and barked.  Both Ms. Emma and Skylar looked at each other and laughed.   She got up and filled a water bottle and set it on the floor for him to pick up. He carefully picked it up and trotted off to the bedroom and sat next to his brother.

"How'd they know to do that?"

"I can link them. Hand me the vest."

He handed it to her as she searched in one of the side pockets; she pulled out a bottle of pills. Shado handed her the water bottle Moose had. She popped a pill in her mouth, followed by half the water.   Shado just realized what she had said.

"Wait, what? You can link your pups?"

She was ignoring him again.  Xael looked at her pups and smiled as they hopped on the bed, tails wagging.  Shado was almost afraid to move as one of them licked him in the face. They climbed over him to get their beloved momma.  She nuzzled them both, planting kisses on their muzzles and hugs around their muscular necks.

"My sweet, sweet boys, I'm fine now. Thank you. Thank you. You can go. Go!"

The two took off and jumped on the couch in the living room.  Xael turned to look back at Shado as she pulled the surrounding bedcovers tightly around her.  He couldn't help but stare into her eyes. This time she didn't look away. "Thank you again for helping me. I appreciate it."

"Anytime."

She nuzzled against him again. He couldn't resist but to do the same to her, which she allowed. He noticed she still didn't have any scent. This entire time she had kept herself wrapped in the blankets.