Adam & Xael*

Xael rested in the Deputy's arms for a while. She didn't move or say anything as he continued to rub her back. Slowly she shifted in his embrace, snuggling into him closer. Her pups were laying on the other side of the bed, both fast asleep.

"Xael?"

Her only response was a deep sigh. He was the first to pull away but not completely, he gently lifted her face. Grey, puffy and bloodshot eyes looked back at him. It was if she was looking deep into his soul. He wanted so desperately to kiss her, but held back.

She moved her head back to his shoulder. With another deep sigh, she cleared her throat. She moved her hands to his waist and held on with a gentle touch. Her voice was soft with a bit of vulnerability laced into it. Nothing like the clear and confident tone he was used to hearing from her.

"I had a Mate Adam. He was killed when we were out one day running rounds between the camps. We came under fire after our vehicle hit an IED.   They had us trapped in a house of one of the locals. I was working on patching up one of the guys that had been hit when an explosive device came through the window. My Mate threw me away from the direct blast, but I caught the edge of it. When I came to, I tried to reach him but one of the guys pulled me out of the house."

Xael started to cry again, Shado was quick to comfort her. Her pups moved closer but gave the two space, they seemed to know that she was safe with the Alpha.

"Our group was close, we were like family, it was me and 6 other guys. Three didn't survive that day. The rest of us stayed close after we were out. One of the guys killed himself a couple of months after we got stateside. Those are the dog tags I carry with me. I became an EMT when I got back. But things happened and I had to leave. I was in a relationship, but he became abusive. My brothers from my unit helped me get away from him. They knew I'd kill him. If not, they would have, so I left and came here."

"What happened that you had to leave?"

Xael pulled back from him and wiped the tears from her face.

"Someone found out from my personnel record that I was Wolfen. They thought it would be fun to see how far they could push me to get me to react. I left, it wasn't worth it."

"I see."

"But there's something I need to tell you."

"I'm listening, but you don't have to tell me anything your uncomfortable with Xael."

"I know, but I want you to know. Besides, you got the best 'wingman' ever."

Shado had to chuckle, even though their conversation was a serious one. "Why are you being so open with me Xael, you've done like a complete 180 from how you react to me." Xael would only smile at him.

Shado couldn't hold back any longer as her grey eyes had him entangled in their spell. He kissed her. His hands cradled her face as his lips softly danced against hers. Xael stared at him when the kiss ended.

"I'm not an Alpha Adam... I'm an Omega."

"Omega! There's no way you're an Omega Xael. You couldn't have served if that was the case."

"But I am Adam. I'm able to present myself as an Alpha, so I lied to get into the military. I don't even know why I did it, maybe to prove something to myself, what I don't know."

"Holy shit..."

Shado looked at her, dumbfounded that the beautiful and broken woman in his arms wasn't at all what he thought she was. Omegas were always more docile with delicate builds, not the muscular build that Xael had. Omega's also weren't intimidating and Xael was that and more.