The Truth About Xael*

Xael and her grandmother were finally alone.  As the Elder went into the living room, Xael went to her bedroom to grab her hair brush. Her grams had turned on the tv to watch a Sherlock Holmes movie.

Xael sat the brush by her grams chair and went to add the veggies they chopped earlier to the roast pans. She returned to the living room and sat on the floor at her grandmother's feet, taking her hair down, she rested her head on her gram's leg.

"Grams, will you brush my hair for me?"

"Sure hun." The elder brushed her granddaughter's hair for a few minutes. Xael's pups were asleep on the couch as the movie played.

"Xael? What did you want to talk about dear?"

Xael sighed as the brush going through her hair was very relaxing. "Adam..."

"Oh! I see. You know he's really attracted to you Xael. Skylar said he's never seen him want to be close to anyone like he does you. So what about him?"

Xael turned to look at her. Her eyes watered slightly.

"Grandma...He's my Mate."

Her grandmother stared at her, a blank expression on her face as she was so overjoyed that she couldn't react. She'd secretly hoped for them to hit it off, and apparently they had.   A huge smile started, but as she saw her granddaughters reaction to it all, she stopped and became a little worried.

"Xael? What's wrong? You should be happy! Adam is a very sweet young Wolfen to have as a Mate, plus he already cares for you deeply."

"Letting someone scent me, is not a good idea grams."

"Xael I don't understand?"

"One day when I was little, my dad told me what I was. He said if others found out, I could be in danger. Grams, dad knew you weren't his real parents, he just never said anything because to him you were."

"Oh my God...that's not possible. Xael that's not possible." Her Grandmother was not only frightened, but there was a slight tinge of fear in her eyes.

"It's true Grandma. He always saw you and Papa as his parents. But he remembered everything from when he was a baby."

"Xael hun, your mistaken."

Xael took a deep breath. "There's a reason the last name my parents gave me is Thunder Wolf and not Red Wolf like yours. The wolves around here. They are more than just wolves Grams, their family. That large Alpha...he's my Grandfather."

"Oh my God!"

"He was able to pass his spirit on to a wolf, the Alpha. The Wolfen that Papa found on the road that night was his mate, my other grandmother.  The pack had been attacked that night.  The wild wolves came to help them. But Grandad was badly injured and dying, so he asked the Alpha to keep his spirit for him. So he's part wolf, part Grandpa.  The ones that attacked the pack were after my dad because of what he was."

"What was he Xael?"

"A Thunder Wolf Grandma, most people call us Dire wolves. Those wolves out there, they were here before they even built this town. Dad told me they are like spirit wolves or something. We can transfer our spirits into them, but only at the point of death. That day I got lost, the Alpha wolf told me all kinds of stuff, most of it I can't remember. I'm not the only Dire wolf, there are others, but they keep it hidden. Mom wrote in a book she left me that letting my scent loose... It's dangerous. It will cause Alphas to go into rut if they inhale too much of it. True Alphas would be even more dangerous to release my scent around. In my human form they could kill me, but in my wolf form... I could fight them off, even though I'm an Omega. When I got lost in the woods, the wolves did something to me, I'm not sure what. That's how I'm able to pass as an Alpha. They did whatever it was so I would be safe. I'm stronger than regular Alphas but not True Alphas."