I Could Have Lost You*

They sat and talked for a bit when Ms. Vicki and Ester showed up along with another customer. Shado was becoming uneasy from more people being around his Mate.

"I need to get her back to the apartment." He gently shook her which startled her a little.  Xael quickly sat up and tossed the hood off to look around, still a little out of it.   Xael forgot about her eyes as she turned and looked right at her Grams. The stark difference was somewhat unsettling. Xael's gaze was intense and menacing. The light grey of her natural eye color faded into a vivid blue outer ring .

"Morning Grams."  The older lady was transfixed by the Omega's eyes. Xael was back to her usual self. "You're staring Grandma."

"I'm sorry sweety."   Xael looked over at the Sheriff as she was no longer clinging to her mate. "Morning Sheriff, Beau."

"Morning Pupkins, see your talking now."

"Yeah, sorry about that." Skylar laughed at her as usual. Xael looked over to her Mate. "I want to go back."

"Yeah, let's go babe." Before she got up, Xael wrapped the bacon in a napkin to take with her. Shado waited, blocking others from getting too close to her. Back at his side, they said their goodbyes but Xael refrained from giving anyone hugs. The town was coming alive as the street filled with people. Adam saw a group of male workers coming towards them on their way to the diner and began to walk across the street. He checked quickly to make sure the way was clear. Grabbing his Mate's hand, they headed across. Adam didn't notice the speeding car coming towards them. One of the workers saw the car and yelled when he noticed it wasn't going to stop, causing those in the diner to look in their direction.

"Hey look out!"

Xael's senses kicked in causing her to push Shado out of the way as the driver slammed on brakes, knocking her to the ground, hard. Everyone in the diner yelled and ran towards the door as Shado rushed back to her side.  Before he reached her she was up on her feet and pissed. The young driver was driving way too fast and on their phone. Xael turned towards the car and glared at the person behind the wheel.

"You asshole!" Xael growled and slammed her fist into the hood of the car. She had punched it so hard that the large dent she made had punctured the radiator. Shado made it up to her.

"Xael!" Reaching her he wrapped her in his arms a little to tightly.

"Ow! That hurts!"

The impact with the pavement had dislocated her shoulder. The Sheriff and her Grams made it to her, Sheriff glaring at the driver behind the wheel. The young driver was in shock, the phone still in their hand.

Adrenaline subsiding, pain took over as Xael struggled to control it. Shado was furious. Once seeing his Mate wasn't badly injured, he lunged for the person in the car, Beau and Skylar stopping him. Xael's grandmother helped her out of the road.

By now a crowd had gathered and Xael wanted away from everyone.

{Adam, get me out of here}

Shado quickly turned his focus to his Mate and left the Sheriff and Beau to deal with the inattentive driver. He scooped her up and carried her to his apartment, her Grandmother right behind them. Once inside Xael noticed how their mated scent was affecting her Grams.

"Sorry Grams, hold on."

Xael struggled through the intense pain in her shoulder as her scent suddenly changed and started to move around the apartment. Shado noticed their mated scent dissipate.