Things are Getting Serious*

Ms. Emma returned with two sage/cedar bundles. She gave one to Xael that was already wrapped in red cloth, the other she placed in front of Shado.

"What's this for Ms Emma?"

"If you and Xael are going to mate at your place, you need to clean it, then go over and smudge the entire apartment."

"Ah!  Yes ma'am, Thank you."

"Xael why aren't you sitting next to him?"  Her Grams had heard the growl and thought they were fighting.

"Um...I need to keep some distance between us for a bit. His scent is getting to me today."

"I see!"

Xael looked over at the deputy, smiled, then laid her head down on the table to rest, her Grams sitting next to her rubbed her back.

After the males had finished eating, they were all ready to go. Xael left her pups inside the cabin as they would be back by the afternoon. They all rode in Xael's jeep since Shado had left his bronco at the apartment when they rode into the city yesterday. On the way to town, Xael sat in the back with Shado but rolled one of the windows down to get some fresh air. She had spent most of the morning away from him so the ride into town wouldn't be that bad on her. She laid in the back seat as soon as the jeep hit the paved road. Skylar looked up in the rearview mirror at her.

"Pup? Make sure you eat something today."

Shado smiled at him, "She's asleep again." The Sheriff shook his head and laughed. Her Grams was a little worried though.

"Adam, see if she has a fever." He reached over to check her forehead, the headwrap was a little in the way.

"No, she's fine."

"Good! Are you staying the night again?"

"No ma'am. I want to spend the evening cleaning my apartment."

"Oh! Yes, make sure you put a mattress protector on the bed."

"I will Ms. Emma. Sheriff, I was going to call some of my buddies from the city today for the lodge, anything special I need to tell them?"

"Are they all first timers?"

"Yes."

"Tell them no metal at all inside the lodge, no glasses or contacts. Start hydrating now, and they each need to bring a pack of chemical free tobacco for the prayer ties. Speaking of prayer ties. Em, we used most of the cloth you had cut. Shado let them know to dress comfortably and what to wear in the lodge."

"No problem on the prayer ties, me and Xael will make some more."

They made it into town. Shado woke Xael up and told her he would be by for lunch and that he would sleep at his place tonight so he could get things cleaned. She let him know it was a good idea as the time away from him would allow her heat to settle back down to where she could manage it. They would talk that evening by phone when he was finished.

Skylar and Emma were just impressed at how the two were caring for each other and how Shado was so open to doing what needed to be done for his Mate.   Skylar had Shado help him carry over the new microwave and coffee pot. Once inside, Skylar thanked the officers that filled in for them. They were more than happy to have a break from working in a larger city, and the food they had received had been awesome. After going out on a few calls and catching up on paperwork, it was time for lunch. Skylar, Shado and Beau all headed to the cafe. Taking their usual spots at the counter, Xael fixed them all burgers and fries.

As the diner closed for the day, the ladies said their good-byes to Ms. Vicki and Ester and headed to the station to see their guys. Xael had fixed Shado something to eat for dinner since they would be apart. It was their first time apart since they had recognized each other as Mates.