Getting Settled

Pulling up to the grocery store, Xael made a quick mental list. She would get stuff for breakfast, sandwiches and dinner to finish out the week. She was planning on opening the diner up on Monday. Adam let her know he would wait in the truck since it was full of stuff. If they were in town, it would be fine to leave it but since they were in the city, he didn't feel comfortable with that.  Xael wouldn't be gone long. She figured french toast, hash browns and bacon and eggs would be easy. She also picked up turkey, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes along with chips and fruit for lunch. She could always switch it up. For dinner she got chicken and a large pot roast. They could have roast then pulled BBQ after that. Xael couldn't forget dessert. She would bake a pound cake and cookies. Her pups had plenty of dog food, plus she wouldn't be surprised if they killed something while out and about.

{You want anything special hon?}

{Nope, I'll eat whatever you cook babe.}

Xael checked out and made it back to the truck to unload the groceries. By now she was ready to get back home and rest. On the way back, Adam let Xael know that Wednesday was their half day so he'd be home after lunch to work on the grill, patio furniture and fire pit. She thought of riding with him into town in the morning.

"You know hon, I think I'll ride in with you this week, there's a lot I want to work on for the diner. I don't think we have wi-fi out at the cabin."

"You know what...that never even crossed my mind. Do you want internet out there?"

"No, no I don't. I want that to be like our sanctuary. We can always download movies in town to watch when we get home."

"Good."

Half way to town, Chris was calling her.

"Hey Chris I got you on speaker phone."

"I got you on speaker phone too! Me and Eli just finished up with the estimates. The windows are pretty standard size, the framing is still good so those will be $375. The exterior doors are fine, the patio door has some minor rot at the bottom but the actual door is still good. To take the door out and replace/seal the bottom is another $375. The big thing is the patio for the diner. Since the cement is in good shape we can just use cement footings. You don't get strong winds or anything so it will be stable enough."

It was Eli's turn to give his assessment. "As far as roofing goes sis, I would only do half of it. There's a polycarbonate material that would be perfect for that. If we do that, then 3 small ceiling fans would be enough to circulate air. I don't want to use anything too big because of weight."

"Sounds good, how much."

"You're looking at almost $6k."

"What about the station?"

"That's pretty easy, there's not much to patch so you're looking at $600 to paint and $100 for the benches with planters."

"When can you start?"

"Monday!" Both Chris and Eli were in sync again. "We'll start on the windows first, then the planter benches and painting as that won't take long. Then we'll get going on the deck."

"Monday it is fellas! Hey BBQ out at the cabin on Sunday. If you can bring everything then, you two can crash at my place."  Adam had to admit that Xael was right about holding on the apartment a little bit longer. 

"Oh wow! Thanks guys, seriously. We'll drop off the trailer at the diner, We can open the gates and back it into the empty patio area. That way we can lock stuff up."