Chapter Sixty Nine

dorm

"The moon.", Sirius gasped, looking out of the window.

"How are we getting out of here?", James asked, running a hand through his hair, "We can't just leave him alone."

"I have an idea.", Peter suggested.

"I don't know if I can do it, but wandless magic is an option.", he continued.

"Okay, Pete, whenever you're ready.", James said nervously.

Peter muttered something slowly, and carefully, and the shield broke.

willow

The wolf sniffed around for his friends, the stag, the dog, and the rat. No one was there.

He howled in pain as the unusual moon took over his mind, tearing at his own front leg out with his teeth, licking the familiar taste of metallic blood.

Three boys burst through the tunnel door, ones the wolf did not recognise.

The shortest boy closed the door, making sure the bolt was on, turning towards the wolf.

"Padfoot, we need to transform now.", James said urgently.

"Yeah.", Sirius said, staring at the wolf, before blurring into Padfoot.

the next morning

Sirius was the first one to wake, standing up, wincing at the pain in his side.

He walked over, letting out a hiss of pain as he bent down next to Remus. Remus was fast asleep, but he didn't look peaceful.

Sirius sat down quietly, not waking Remus, just watching him. He looked at Remus' leg, wincing at the deep cuts.

"Padfoot?", James whispered, "Are you hurt?".

"I got scratched, but I'm fine.", he said, not taking his eyes off Remus.

"Do you want me to take a look at it?", Peter asked.

"Later.", Sirius said, touching the back of his head.

a few minutes later

Remus stirred, coughing in his sleep as he woke up. He opened his eyes, to three blurry forms.

"What are you doing here?", Remus said, rubbing his eyes. He woke up at the wrong time, at the same time Sirius lifted up his shirt to check on the deep gash on his torso.

Sirius pulled down his shirt quickly, but not quick enough. "I- I did that to you.", Remus cried, ignoring the tightening in his lungs and the tearing pain in his legs.

"Come here, Rem.", Sirius said enveloping the taller boy into a hug, letting him cry into his shoulder.

"Why are you still my friends? I'm a werewolf, I hurt you guys, I trapped you, I-", Remus sobbed, letting the moment of weakness take over.

"Moony, we're always going to stay with you.", Peter promised. James nodded slowly. "Look at me, Remus.", James said quietly, as Remus' sobs took over the shack.

"Don't say it's okay, Prongs, it's not okay. I could've killed you. It's not going to get better, It's not. I know that. I've accepted that I'm a monster, why can't you?", Remus cried, clinging on to Sirius and burying his head in his chest.

The three boys were silent. Remus had never cried like this, so raw and full of emotion.

"I know it's hard. You don't deserve any of the stuff that's happened to you. You, Remus, are a good person. You're not a monster. You just have a-- a furry little problem.", James said