Chapter Twenty Three

Police sirens were flashing at the scene of the accident, and there was a crowd forming. The people in the ambulance came rushing out, with stretchers. They helped an injured James and Peter out of the car, and telling them to get in the stretcher. They motioned for them to get on the stretcher. Peter shook his head, pointing in the car. The EMT's stepped into the car, which had flipped onto it's side. They pulled the driver out. The EMT shook his head, placing him on the stretcher, and wheeling him into the ambulance.  A tear slipped down James' face. They pulled Remus out, who was unconscious and bleeding They set Remus on the stretcher, wheeling him in the ambulance. "Where's Sirius? WHERE'S MY FRIEND?", James yelled, looking around wildly. "There's no one else in the car.", The EMT said. A young lady in the crowd let out a scream. There was a pair of legs sticking out of the car. The EMTs, James, and Peter rushed over. "Fuck. Is that-", Peter swore. The EMTs struggled as they lifted up the car. "Sirius.", James gasped, running. The police held him back. "LET GO!", James yelled struggling against his grip. 

The EMT pulled out the broken body of Sirius Black. "Is there anything we can do?", one asked. James and Peter sat in the ambulance, praying that their friends would be okay. The ambulance rushed to the nearest hospital, wheeling everyone out. 

Remus Lupin woke up to the sound of heart monitors. "He's awake!", James cheered. Peter opened his eyes. "I'm up.", he yawned, stretching back. James closed the door to Remus' room, running to go and get the doctor. The doctor walked in, a peppy woman with a smile on her face. "Hello, nice to see you awake. Can you tell me your name?". she asked. "Remus. Remus Lupin.", he said, his throat dry. "Do you know where you are? What happened?", she asked. "No.", Remus said. "Where's Pa--Sirius?", Remus asked. "We were in a car crash, Remus.", James explained, after the doctor left. "There was a drunk driver.. he was swerving all over the place.", Peter explained. "He hit the side that you and Sirius were sitting on.". Remus swore loudly. 
"Are you guys okay?", Remus asked, sitting up in his hospital bed. "We're fine.", James sighed. "Where's Sirius?", Remus asked again. "Remus, they won't let us see him.", James choked out. 

"What? I was sitting at the edge, he can't be too bad, right?", Remus asked, his voice raising. "He wasn't wearing his seat belt.", Peter said. "What happened to him?", Remus asked, not knowing if he wanted to know the answer. James left the room, pulling his shirt up to wipe his eyes. "Peter?", Remus prompted. "Fuck. After the crash, no one knows what happened. The thingy that brought us here pulled me, you, James, and the driver out. We were looking for Sirius. They said no one was in the car. We heard someone scream and point at something. It- it was a pair of legs, underneath the car. Sirius must have fallen out, and the car must have gotten up on top of him.", Peter said.

Remus stared blankly, his mind reeling. "Remus?", Peter asked. "Is he.. gone?", Remus asked, tears welling up. "He's.. still alive.. just barely.", Peter choked out. James walked in, smiling weakly. "They said we can see him.". 

The doctor discharged Remus, giving him crutches to walk on. "Can we see him?", Remus asked. The nurse nodded, opening the door. "He's not awake yet.", she said, leaving them alone. Muggle hospitals were so much different than St Mungos. Sirius was lying on the hospital bed, with multiple wires connected to him. The heart monitor was beeping, and that was the only sound in the room. Sirius looked...broken. That was the only way to put it.  There were a lot of cuts and grazes all over him, and Sirius had his eyes closed. The three boys pulled chairs up, sitting next to him. "Do you remember the first time this happened?", Remus asked, breaking the silence. "Yeah.", James sniffled. "After he woke up, he kept cracking puns to make us laugh.", Peter smiled. "I- I wasn't even talking to him when this happened, I should've said something.", Remus said. "Sirius, I'm so fucking sorry.", Remus said, leaning over him. Sirius' eyes were still closed. Remus sat back down, his breathing ragged. "It's not your fault, Moony.", James whispered. "I know, but if he doesn't make it-", Remus cried. "He's going to make it. He has to.", Peter said, not taking his eyes off Sirius. 

Suddenly, Sirius' arm twitched. 

This next moment was utter chaos. "Did his arm just-", Remus asked, his eyes widening. Peter ran out, yelling for the nurse,  who rushed in. "Sirius? Can you hear me?", Remus asked hopefully. The heart monitor began to beep rapidly. "What's happening?", Remus asked, looking around. More nurses began rushing into the room. The heart monitor sped up even more. "His heart shouldn't be speeding up this fast.", One nurse said to the other. Beeeeeep. One continuous beep sounded, as the heart monitor flatlined. "Sirius?", James yelled. "We're going to have to defibrillate him.", the nurse said, "We need you to step out.". "I'm not leaving!", James yelled. The nurse pushed us out and slammed the door. "Fuck. FUCK.", James yelled, running to watch the nurses through the window. "What's a defil- thingy?", Peter asked. "They use it if someone's dying, it sends an electric shock through your body.", I said, staring as Sirius' jolted. The nurse shook her head, and did it again. Nothing. The three boys rushed into the room. "I'm taking time of death 9:34 A.M.", the nurse said, shaking her head. 

Remus couldn't breathe. James had fallen on the ground in a heap, and Peter had silent tears streaming down his face. 

Something happened that would change everything.