Chapter Five

Hi! remember this is an au fic, so the timelines won't exactly match up :) 

They stepped out of the train, and got their suitcases.

 Lily was talking to Severus angrily, and James looked over, concerned. They stepped closer, wands out. 

"Severus, let go!", Lily said angrily, pulling her wrist away from him. "

Lily, wait!", Severus said, tightening his grip on her wrist. James pulled his wand out and shot a spell at Snape, knocking him back.

 "She said let go, Snivellus.", James said. Snape pulled out his wand and shot a spell at James before anyone could do anything.

 Sirius stepped in front of James swiftly. "Protego!", he cast, and the spell was blocked.

 "I don't need you to fight my battles, Potter.", Lily scoffed, bumping into James. "Mental, that one is.", James said, as Peter helped him up.

 Sirius was falling behind, so Remus went to go check on him. "You okay?", Remus asked, grabbing Sirius' hand. Sirius blushed and pulled away, 

"Yeah. Just nervous.", he smiled tightly. The Great Hall was full of eager students ready for another year.

Dumbledore stood up, clearing his throat. Everyone went silent, and Dumbledore began his yearly speech. "Welcome back to another year at Hogwarts! Seventh years, this is a major year for you. Soulmate choosing. The names will appear on your wrists today at 9 PM.".

 A ripple of excitement passed through the tables. James blew a kiss at Lily, who ignored it. "And, one more thing. I need to announce the Head Boy and Head Girl for all houses.", Dumbledore said. 

"For Slytherin House, Lucius Malfoy and Narcissa Black.". Narcissa and Lucius walked up to the podiums to get their badges. "How did he get Head Boy?", Peter hissed. Dumbledore raised his hand, and the hall went silent. "For Hufflepuff House, Jacob Macmillan and Genevieve Bell. For  Ravenclaw House, Pandora Fortescue and Xenophilius Lovegood. And for Gryffindor House, Lily Evans and James Potter." Everyone was shocked, but no more than James himself. Everyone walked up to get their badges, and went back to their tables. 

"You better not suddenly be mature and forget about all the pranks we were going to do.", Sirius said, hitting James in the back of his head. And the feast began. 

"When's full moon?", Peter asked, his mouth full of mashed potatoes. "Next week.", Remus sighed tiredly. 

"I'm nervous for tonight.", Peter said, sweating. "Don't be, Peter.", said James, but he was nervous as well. 

At the Slytherin table, Regulus Black was trying to get his brother's attention, without letting the other Slytherins know. 

He picked up a chicken bone and aimed it at his brother's head. He hit him square in the head, making Sirius turn around. "Ouch!", he said, rubbing his head and looking for the person who threw it. 

Regulus waved him over. Sirius glared at him and pointedly ignored him. Regulus sighed. He really needed to talk to Sirius. 

"Reg, you okay?", Barty asked, looking concerned. Regulus blushed, not realizing Barty had been watching him. Unknown to both brothers, they were in the same situation. 

In the Gryffindor common room,  everyone was nervous with excitement. 

"What time is it, Padfoot?", Remus asked. "Er- It's 8:45.", Sirius said, sweating. 

"Oi! We should go to our dorms and come back after nine.", Lily said, and everyone headed to their dorms.

ten minutes later 

The boys were sitting down in their beds, waiting for the last five minutes. "No matter what, we need to show each other.", Sirius said, breaking the silence. 

Everyone nodded. "What if I don't get anyone?", Peter asked, tearing up. "Look at me Peter. You will get someone, alright? Everyone knows Mary has a crush on you.", James said, cheering him up.

 "Really?", Peter brightened up. "I think it would be better if I didn't get anyone.", Remus said, picking at his duvet. "I don't want to burden anyone.".

 "Whoever gets you, Remus, is one lucky person. If they don't accept you the way you are, then that's their loss.", Sirius said. Remus smiled at him, the corner of his mouth quirking up.

slytherin dorms

Barty and Regulus stood in their dorm, Barty with tears streaming down his cheeks. "So- what? You're telling me that what we had meant nothing to you?", he asked Regulus.

 "It didn't, Barty. I was just fooling around.", Regulus said, but his heart broke as he said this. "Is it because of your parents, Reg?", Barty asked, his voice cracking. 

"No!", Regulus said a little too quickly. "I thought you were better than this, Regulus.", Barty spat, heading down to the Common Room.

"It's time.", Sirius cleared his throat nervously. Everyone stared at their wrists. 

Sirius had his eyes closed. Please not Remus, Please not Remus. Sirius opened his eyes and his heart sunk. On his right hand, the name Marlene McKinnon stood out. And on his left hand, the name Remus Lupin.

James closed his eyes. Please let it be Lily, Please let it be Lily. He opened his eyes, and peeked through. On his left hand, the name Chloe Edwards. And on his left hand, the name Lily Evans.

Remus didn't close his eyes. Two names appeared on his wrist. On his right hand, the name Chloe Edwards. On his left hand, the name Sirius Black.

Peter closed his eyes. He cautiously opened his eyes. On his right hand, the name Mary McKinnon. And on his left hand, Emily Waters.