Chapter One Hundred Twenty Four

restaurant

Mary, Alex, Dorcas, Marlene, Alice, Frank, James, Lily, Peter, Remus, and Sirius sat at the largest table in the restaurant, ordering their food.

Sirius swallowed, staring at the melted cheese on his food, his stomach grumbling. Remus locked eyes on him, taking a bite of his own food as Sirius followed.

Mary pulled Alex aside, as the other girls offered her nods of encouragement. "Mary, what's wrong?", he asked.

"I-", she stuttered. Alex grabbed her hands, looking her in the eyes, "Whatever it is, we can do this."

"I'm pregnant.", she blurted, her eyes wide.

"You're- what?", Alex gasped, dropping her hand. "Alex, I'm-", Mary said, pressing a hand to her tanned face, her eyes pooling with tears.

Alex stared, opening his mouth to speak, but no words came out.

"I'll- I'll go talk to Dumbledore, I'll see if I can stay. Oh my god, Mary, I'm going to be a dad.", he said, his face breaking out into a grin.

Mary looked at him, a smile forming on her own face. "You're- you want a kid? With me?", she asked.

"Of course I do.", Alex said, kissing her quickly, turning to the table.

"Spill the secrets, lovebirds!", Frank whooped.

Mary smiled, "I'm pregnant!", she grinned, her tears falling down her face, and the table erupted in cheers.

"A baby.", Sirius said, as though he had never heard the word, "A baby!".

"I'll go ask Dumbledore if I can stay, I'll be back.", Alex said, unable to stop smiling.

later

Alex came back, his head hanging, and his eyes full of fresh tears. He lifted his head to look at the table of his friends, and then at Mary, and he shook his head.

"I- I told him, and he said I still have to go.", Alex said, his voice broke on the last word.

"No.", Marlene breathed. James clenched his jaw, "This isn't fair! You have a baby on the way.", he said loudly, as Remus nodded, his eyes angry.

"I'll go instead.", James said instantly, standing up. "Dumbledore said I have to.", Alex said grimly.

flat - that night

"Pete, you all packed?", Sirius asked quietly. Peter nodded, the dawn of the upcoming mission falling on all of them.

"If I- If I don't come back-", Peter started, reddening. "Stop it, you're coming back.", James said firmly.

"But if I don't-".

"Look. You're going to make it back, okay? If you need any help, then send your Patronus. I don't care what Dumbledore says, we'll come.", Sirius said. Peter nodded, his hands shaking.

the next morning

Peter had grabbed his things, standing outside the flat, hugging his friends. "Don't cry, I'll start crying too.", Sirius warned, patting Peter on the back.

"Call on your birthday, Wormtail, we'll save your presents for when you get back.", James said, forcing a half smile.

"I will.", Peter promised, hugging Lily.

"I'll see you guys later.", Peter said, sadness entering his voice as he stepped through the fireplace.

that night

Mary knocked on the door of the flat, her curly hair in a messy braid. Lily opened the door, rubbing her eyes.

"Oh, Mary! Come in.", she said, opening the door wider. "D'you have a spare room? I didn't want to trouble Marlene and Dorcas, and I can't stay by myself-", she said sheepishly.

"Of course, come on, you can stay in the spare room.", Lily said warmly, leading her inside.

"Did you and Alex talk?", Lily asked gently, as they sat down on the bed. Mary nodded, wiping at her eyes. "I just- I can't believe Dumbledore wouldn't let him stay.", she said, anger creeping into her voice.

Lily nodded, her eyes flashing, but put a hand on her shoulder, "We'll be here for you, just let me know if you need anything.", she said gently.

"Thank you. Goodnight, Lily.", Mary said softly.

"Goodnight, Mary."

one week later

The Muggle telephones had been set up in their flat, and the absence of Peter and Alex had put a damper on everyone's mood. After a long week, it was time for their scheduled phone calls, and the five of them were waiting patiently near the telephone.

The phone rang, and Remus picked it up, waiting for someone to answer. "Hello?", Peter's gravelly voice rang through, crackling through the telephone. Remus smiled widely, "Peter!".

"Remus!", Peter said, and Remus could practically hear the grin on his face.

"Do you miss me?", Peter asked, and James could imagine the smug grin.

"Of course we did.", Lily smiled. "How's the mission going?", Sirius asked.

"It's going- decently, I'd say. There was an attack the other day, Stanley broke his leg. Alex healed it though, and we caught one Death Eater. The rest of us didn't get hurt, we're all fine."

"You sure?", Sirius asked, raising an eyebrow. "I'm sure.", Peter said, and then his voice cut out.

"Pete? You there?"

"Yeah, still here, think it cut out."

They talked about life in the flat, Peter talked about the missions, and eventually, their hour had ended.

"My time's up, guys. I miss you, I'll talk to you next week."

"We love you, Peter, come back safe!", James said.

"Is Mary there? I can give the phone to Alex.", Peter offered. Lily handed the phone to her, and Mary spoke into it quietly.

The others left the room, wanting to give them some privacy.

"Alex?", Mary whispered, her voice thick with tears. "Mary.", Alex whispered. Mary pictured him, his long blond hair, his crystal blue eyes pooling with tears.

"How- how's everything going? I miss you so much.", Mary breathed. "I miss you so much.", Alex responded, his voice deep, "I miss the sound of your voice. Talk to me. About anything."

"Well, in four weeks, I'll get my first ultrasound.", Mary said, fiddling with the cord. Alex nodded, but then realized she couldn't hear him. "That's great, Mary."

"I want you to be here for it, but I understand about the Order. Please don't be too hard on yourself."

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

Mary talked about the randomest things, chattering into the phone.

"Mary.", Alex said quietly, and Mary knew the time was up. "No- We didn't even talk, I was just blabbering on and on."

"Mary, it's okay. Promise. I love you."

"I love you too, Alex."

The phone beeped, and turned off. Mary set it down, tying her hair up as she went into the other room.

"Hey, Mary, you okay?", Lily asked, hugging her. "Yeah.", Mary said, taking a deep breath, "I'm okay.".

James' hairclip flashed, and then a beat passed, and Remus' did too. "Shit, gotta go.", James said, kissing Lily on the cheek and hugging everyone goodbye. Remus kissed the top of Sirius' head, hugging the girls, before following James out of the flat.