Chapter Seventy Five

DADA

"I know everyone is anxious about the war, and some of you are in the Order.", McGonagall said, her lips twisting, "I want you to know how to defend yourselves.".

The class was exciting, and full of chatter, as the students practiced verbal and non verbal defensive spells.

seventeen days later, march 27

James woke up, being squirted with water from three--no, four different wands. He woke up, sputtering.

"Great way to wake up the birthday boy.", James groaned, taking a towel from Peter and wiping his face.

"Et tu, Evans?", James asked, in mock outrage.

"Happy birthday, James!", they all chorused, smiling innocently.

"I'm an old man now.", James smiled, as his friends sat next to him.

"How many times are you gonna kiss me?", James said, turning to Lily with a bad attempt at flirting.

"How many do you want?", Sirius winked, laughing at the shocked look on James' face.

"Not you, idiot.", James snorted, turning towards Lily.

"Oh! How I have been wounded! I will never be the same, my heart has been broken! I will die of a broken heart!", Sirius yelled, placing a hand on his chest.

"Oh well, if you're dead, I guess I'll go date Regulus.", Remus sighed, making Sirius bolt upwards.

"Oh, Moony, you have awakened me!", Sirius cried, swooping up, and pressing a hand to his forehead.

Lily leaned in, kissing James, who smiled, pulling her in for another one.

"I'm just going to leave.", Sirius groaned, smiling, Peter and Remus laughing as they followed him.

quidditch grounds

"Funny how the House Tournament falls on your birthday, huh Potter?", Delbus Flint asked, sneering at him from the other side of the field.

"The only thing funny is going to be the look on your face when we beat you.", James smirked, flipping his hair out of his face.

He looked into the stands, at his friends. Remus was bundled up in Sirius' clothes, who insisted he wear three layers, sitting next to Peter and Emily.

Lily was sitting next to him,wearing his scarf for good luck, her cheeks flushed from the cold. She blew a kiss to him, and James caught it, putting it in his pocket and smiling up at her.

Sirius was still banned from the Quidditch team, but he had persuaded McGonagall to let him do the commentary, so he stood at the top, his voice about to be magnified. He shot James a thumbs up, and James smiled nervously, clutching his sweaty hands to his broom.

He looked at Lily again, who smiled at him. Breathe. You can do this., she mouthed. James nodded, focusing his eyes on Madame Hooch as she counted don and then blew the whistle.

James pushed off with his feet, the wind rushing in his ears. Adrenaline pumped through him as he saw everyone else in the air, the Snitch zooming through. He made eye contact with the Slytherin Chaser.

an hour later

The shouts of the Gryffindor team rung through the air as they hoisted James Potter above their sweaty shoulders. McGonagall handed James the trophy, who lifted it up in the air, shouting as they carried him all the way to the common room, the Gryffindor students following, cheering.