Chapter Forty

Thank you guys for 1K reads! I just realized I forgot to include Peter's canon birthdate. This story doesn't stick to canon exactly, so I will include his birthday in later chapters. Thank you, keep voting and commenting!

"Oh, Sirius, can we paint your nails?", Dorcas pleaded.

Sirius shrugged. "I don't know about that.".

"Come on, Sirius!", Marlene pleaded.

Sirius relented. "Do Gryffindor colors!", James smiled. Lily pulled out the scarlet and gold nail polish, and began painting his nails. 

Sirius pulled a face. "It's so glittery.", he said apprehensively, looking down. "For god's sake, Sirius, paint the whole nail, will you?", Remus said shaking his head.

"Painted nails make you beautiful.", Remus said quietly (someone please get this reference)

Sirius smiled, blowing on his nails. "I like them.", he announced.

"Sirius, I like the new look.", Professor Kettleburn announced. "Thanks, Kettles, you're a bit old for me, though.", Sirius grinned, shooting finger guns at him. as the class stared at him. "He's kinda cute.", a girl whispered, pointing at Remus. Sirius glared at her.

"Hey, Remus.", the girl said, coming up to them. "Hi.", Remus said brightly. "I don't understand this. Can you help me?", she pouted. "Yeah, of course! Hippogriffs do bow only when they see the leader of their flock.", he explained. pointing to the lines in her textbook. "Thanks, Rem! You're the best!", she grinned, hugging him tightly. "Remus? Are you going down to Hogsmeade tomorrow?", she asked nervously. "Yeah, I am.", Remus smiled. "Oh. Sorry, Darla, I'm actually with someone.", Remus said, running a hand through his hair. 

"Who?", Darla asked, scrunching up her nose. "Me.", Sirius interrupted, sitting on Remus' lap, and smiling. 

Lily looked at Sirius, smirking. "Remember when you hated me, Evans?", James asked randomly. "Who's to say I don't?", Lily joked, smiling playfully. James stuck his tongue out at her. "You're such a baby, Potter.", Lily snorted. "Please pay attention, and stop flirting, Mr and Mrs. Potter. I mean Evans." Kettleburn said. 

Lily turned red and turned around, trying to ignore James and Peter snickering behind her. She quite liked the sound of Mrs. Potter, if she was being honest. 

"Oh, I'm sorry.", Darla said, raising her eyebrows. "Are you sure?", she asked again. "I'm sure. Sorry.", Remus said, grabbing Sirius' hand. 

"That was an interesting class.", Peter snorted. 

"Pete, can I talk to you?", Mary asked nervously, walking up to him. Peter looked at the other thre boys for approval, and followed her. 

"What's wrong?", Peter asked nervously. "I don't think this is going to work, Peter, I'm so sorry.", she said, tears filling her eyes. "Oh.", Peter said, but deep down, he knew it was coming. "I think we were better off as friends.", Peter stuttered. Mary grinned, happy he understood. "Friends?", she asked, holding out her hand. Peter took it, shaking it. 

How did I get myself into this mess? I can't sell out my best friends. Peter thought, as he walked up to the four boys and Lily. 

"What happened, Pete?", Lily asked worriedly. "Er- Mary and I broke up.", he said. 

"I'm sorry, Pete.", Remus said sympathetically. 

"It's alright, we were better off as friends.", Peter said, overwhelmed by the empathy. 

"Pete, in no time you'll have the girls lined up for you.", James promised, ruffling his hair.

"Peter Pettigrew: Ladies Man.", Sirius joked, spreading out his hands. 

"Today we will be learning about Patroni.", Professor Boltknox said, his voice ringing clearly throughout the classroom. "Can anyone tell me what that is?", he asked. 

"A Patronus is s a defensive spell which produces a silver, animal guardian, used to protect a witch or wizard against Dementors.", Remus said, "It emerges from your happiest memories.". 

"Nerd.", James scoffed, making Remus shove him. 

"Good job Mr. Lupin!", Professor Boltknox said, smiling at him. 

"Everyone repeat after me. Expecto Patronum.", he said, waving his wand, causing a wolf to come out. 

He looked at Remus, who stared after the wolf. Sirius placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. 

"Expecto Patronum!", James cried, waving his wand. Silvery mist shot out of his wand. 

"Mr. Potter! That was excellent! What memory were you thinking of?", Professor asked excitedly. 

"Er- When I met my friends and when I kissed Evans.", James said sheepishly, blushing.

Lily smiled at him. "Wow, Potter, obsessed are we?", Lily asked, arching an eyebrow. 

"You kissed me first, didn't you?", James smirked.

"Yeah, once you stopped being a git.", Lily shot back. 

"We get it, you're in love, blah blah blah.", Sirius interrupted. 

"Padfoot, I see you staring at Remus' arse all the time.", James snorted. 

"I do not!", Sirius protested, looking around at the class. 

"Do I look at his arse?", Sirius asked his fellow students.