Chapter Sixty One

"Pete, come on, they're not gonna find us.", James begged. Peter sighed. "Fine, but if they catch us, it's your fault.". James nodded, and they threw the invisibility cloak on and snuck to the common room.

Remus nodded. "You were right.". "Right?", Sirius asked, staring into Remus' amber eyes. God, his eyes were so pretty. Remus licked his lips, not breaking eye contact with Sirius.

"About Max.", he breathed. "Oh.", Sirius said, looking down.

Peter stepped on James foot, making him yelp in pain. "What was that?", Remus asked, his ears perking up.

After a few seconds, he shrugged it off, turning back to Sirius.

"Did he-- did you?", Sirius asked, feeling like his heart was about to burst. Remus shook his head. "No.".

"Why- why not?", Sirius asked, daring to hope. "You know why, Sirius.", Remus sighed, sitting down.

"I want to hear you say it.", Sirius whispered. Remus blinked up at him, his long eyelashes touching his cheeks. "Sirius, I-", Remus said softly. Sirius looked down, "No, I understand, you don't want to go back to- to what we were.", he said softly.

"It's you, Sirius.", Remus gulped. "What?", Sirius breathed. "It's always been you. It'll always be you, no matter what.", Remus said, his voice thick as he looked down, away from Sirius.

"Rem, I should've-- I'm sorry, please forgive me.", he said ducking his head, wanting Remus to look at him. "Please-", his voice cracked.

He looked up at him, saying a million things to him with his eyes, as the silence cast over them.

Neither boy said anything, but continued looking at the other. "Remus--", Sirius started.

But Remus was kissing him, his hands on Sirius' face, and tears slipping down, mixing with his own. Sirius melted into it, laughing and crying into the kiss all at once.

The barrier fell, but neither one of them cared.

"Sorry to interrupt-- whatever this is, but the barrier fell ten minutes ago.", James said warily, staring at them. Neither boy broke apart, but Remus stuck up the middle finger at James, who laughed and ran away, making Peter follow him.

dorm

Remus and Sirius walked into the dorm, where they were awaited by James and Peter sitting on their beds. "You creeps.", Sirius muttered sarcastically, shooting a jet of water at the both of them from his wand. James spluttered, wiping his wet face as Peter dodged it, blurring into Wormtail.

"Excuse me, we're the creeps that let you snog for an hour.", James shot back snarkily. "We did not snog for an hour.", Sirius blushed. "Probably more than you'll ever snog someone, Prongs.", Remus smirked.

James' mouth dropped. "You corrupted him again?", he asked, mock horror on his face. "Oi, Potter. Get your arse over here, we've got rounds.", Lily yelled, stepping into the dorms.

"Have fun.", Sirius winked. Lily turned a shade of bright red, but then composed herself. "Yeah, like you and Remus did in the common room?", she shot back.

"Yes, very much like that.", Sirius laughed. "Idiots.", Lily laughed, flipping him off as James followed her out.

"Should I leave?", Peter asked warily, staring at them. "No, Pete, you can stay.", Remus laughed. "Okay.", Peter said, looking relieved.

"Why are you so bloody tall?", Lily grouched, as he used her head as an armrest. "Naturally handsome, too.", James grinned. "Never said that.", she smirked. "Oh, really?", James smirked. "Besides, we all know I'm the beauty and you're the beast, Potter.", Lily laughed.

James looked confused. "What?", he asked. "You Purebloods.", Lily sighed, "So uneducated.".

"Mhm.", James muttered, "And you, Evans, are certainly in love with me.", he said. "Am I?", she asked, leaning in to kiss him.

"Yes, yes you are. Now get out of here before the teachers catch you.", Mary said, giggling as she walked past them.

"I missed you.", Remus whispered, inhaling the scent of Sirius. "I did too.", Sirius said softly. "I'm sorry, Pads.", Remus said. "Don't", Sirius said, looking him in the eyes. "We're not going to be apart like this again.", Sirius said, and Remus nodded. Years later, both of them would look back at this moment, wishing they were right.