Chapter Fifty Five

slytherin corridor

"Regulus.", Sirius snarled, once he saw that Regulus was alone.

"Sirius, I- what happened?", he asked. "I took the blame, that's what!", Sirius said, his voice low.

"Remus and I are done. I got kicked out of my own dorm. My friends won't even talk to me.", he said tiredly.

"You didn't have to take the blame. Don't put that on me.", Regulus said angrily.

"I did. They would have found the Mark on you, wouldn't they? And you would be rotting away in Azkaban.", Sirius yelled.

Regulus grew quiet. "Well, maybe a werewolf shouldn't be here.", he said quietly.

Sirius jumped on top of Regulus, throwing his wand on the ground.

He punched Regulus in the face. "Don't ever say that again.", Sirius said, his voice echoing in the empty hallway.

Regulus stared at him, clutching his bleeding mouth.

"Mr. Black! Fighting?", Professor Slughorn said, "Another detention, I'm afraid."

"Don't call me that.", he muttered, scowling at him, all the way to Professor Boltknox's classroom.

"Here for detention.", Sirius sighed. "What would you like me to do?", he asked, walking in.

"Sit down, Mr. Black.", he said, pulling up a chair. Sirius flinched. "Don't call me that.", he said softly.

"Alright, Sirius, tell me what happened.", the Professor said, staring intently at him. "I just-- I did something stupid. And I don't deserve for them to forgive me, but I just want everything to go back to the way it was. Before the wars, the fighting. I miss them. I don't have anywhere to go, sir, I was living with the Potters. But-- James, he hates me now. They all do.", Sirius said, everything coming out in a rush.

"Hmm. It seems you are genuinely sorry for this.", Professor Boltknox said.

"I am, sir, but-- I messed up bad. It's-- it's not some stupid grudge.", he said softly.

"Sirius, I'm going to let you off. Just this once.", the professor said quietly. "Thank you, sir.", Sirius said, standing up.

Sirius wandered out of the Slytherin hallway, going up the stairs.

He paced in front of the halls.

I need a place to stay.

The door appeared, and Sirius walked in. There was a single bed, with a pillow, a blanket, Firewhiskey, and cigarettes.

He sighed, flopping on the bed. Sirius turned into Padfoot, curling up, and escaping his thoughts.

three broomsticks

"One round of Firewhiskey, please.", James asked, as his friends sat down at a table. He payed the bartender, who carried the bottles to them.

"So. Our last year here.", Mary said, quietly. "Yeah, seems like we were just firsties.", Marlene smiled.

"James was so obnoxious.", Peter teased. "I was not!", James spluttered.

"You kept doing stupid stuff to get her attention.", Remus said, speaking for the first time.

"It worked, didn't it?", Marlene smirked. "I guess it did.", Lily smiled.

"Did you really have to do that wedgie hex on me?", James groaned. "Yes, Potter, yes I did.", Lily laughed.

"And you did it to Sirius--", James started, and then flushed. There was an awkward silence. Remus picked up his bottle of Firewhiskey, gulping it down.

"What?", he asked, waving the bartender over. "One more, please.", he said gruffly.

"Remus, is that a good idea?", Dorcas asked warily. Remus ignored her, opening the bottle with his hands.

"I had an idea. When I went home, last term, I saw a shelter. It was for people who were on the streets. I was thinking, what if instead of getting each other gifts, we give them some money?", Lily suggested.

"That sounds great, Lily!", Alice said, and the other students chimed in with noises of agreement.

"I'll miss this, after we leave.", Lily said quietly, "Especially during the war.".

"We'll be fine. We'll win.", James said determinedly.

hogwarts

"I'm not drunk.", Remus giggled, as they lead him to the common room. "Yes, yes you are.", James sighed. "No, you.", Remus laughed, clearly finding this very hilarious.

"Drunk Remus is fun.", Marlene said, giggling. "You're not the one who has to hear his late night thoughts.", Peter groaned, as they waved goodbye to the girls.

"Remus, go to sleep.", James said. Remus nodded, climbing into his own bed.

James turned off the lights. "Guys?", he heard a quiet voice ask.

"Yeah, Moony?", he whispered. "Can- can you come here?", Remus asked, and even through the dark, he could see his flaming cheeks.

Peter hesitated, and Remus shook his head. "Sorry. You guys don't have to. Sirius-- he usually sleeps with me.", he said.

"Not like that.", he said hurriedly, looking at James' raised eyebrow and smirk. "Course, Moony, I'll come.", he said, bringing his pillow and blanket. Peter nodded, following him onto the crowded bed.

"Can't say I'll snog you to sleep though.", James said, and Remus smacked his head.

"Is it bad that-- I miss him?", Remus asked quietly. Peter opened his mouth to say something, and then closed it. "Do you love him?", James asked quietly.

"I don't know. I trusted him, and look what happened. Snape could've died.", Remus whispered.

"I miss him, too.", Peter admitted.

The next two weeks were full of avoiding his name, almost like a taboo. They never saw him in the hallways, and they would all be lying if they said they weren't worried.