Chapter Eighty Three

flat

"I'm here-- I'm here!", James panted, throwing open the flat door. Lily ran at him, almost knocking him over as she hugged him, sobbing into his chest.

"Hey, Evans. I'm fine, see? I'm fine.", he said softly, kissing her, taking her face in her hands.

"Sirius, you okay? Pete, Mary? Remus?", James asked, looking at all of them.

"What happened to your head?"

"A house fell on me-- never mind that, I'm fine. Where's Remus?", he asked again, as Sirius looked pointedly at Mary.

"He, um. He's asleep. The moon didn't go well-- he handcuffed himself to the wall with-- with silver shackles. I wanted him to get as much sleep as he could-- the silver burned his wrists really badly.", Mary said, "I healed him as well as I could.". She finished rubbing the gel onto Sirius' back.

"He did what--", James said, his mouth dropping open. "Oh my god-- I need to.", Sirius stuttered, and Peter and Lily stared, agape, following James to his room.

"Sirius, you go in first.", Lily said softly. Sirius opened the door, sitting on the bed next to a pale, sleeping Remus.

"Padfoot?", Remus mumbled, "Oh my god-- are you okay? The mission?", he stammered, being too weak to open his eyes.

"Shh, don't worry about me, babe, are you okay?", Sirius whispered softly, kissing his cheek.

"Oh-- don't look at me.", Remus muttered, ducking under the blanket. "I haven't seen you for two days and you don't want me to look at you?", he asked quietly.

"I- there's a new scar- my face, it's so-", Remus stuttered. "It's so what? Pretty? Handsome? Amazing?", Sirius asked taking the blanket off him, kissing the scar on his nose.

"And no more handcuffs, Moons, unless they're for us.", Sirius winked.

"You have a dirty mouth.", Remus gaped, slapping his hand playfully. Sirius laughed, kissing his forehead.

"I love you, Pads.", Remus said softly, pulling him into a hug. Sirius let out a whimper of pain.

"What happened?"

"No big deal, a flamingbeamfellonmyback nothing big, want some water?", Sirius rambled.

"Sirius!"

"Moonykins!"

"I'm trying to be serious here."

"That's me."

"Let me see", Remus insisted. Sirius sighed, lifting up his shirt as Remus winced. "I'm fine.", Sirius said softly, tilting Remus' chin up, smiling into a kiss.

James, Lily, and Peter walked in, looking concerned, as Mary popped in, announcing that she was going to Mungos.

"Okay, before you say anything. I'm okay. I promise. The silver was just an-- a necessary precaution.", Remus sighed tiredly, showing them the gauze wrapped around his wrists.

"You didn't need to, Remus.", Peter sighed.

"The silver-- it burned your flesh. Did you have any idea how worried we were?", Lily asked, her eyes flashing.

"Sorry."

"You could have died, Remus, and what would happen then? We would've-- we would've come home from our missions, to you just lying there-", James' voice broke as he looked down.

"Please, Remus, just-- don't do it again. I don't know what I'd do.", Sirius gulped.

"I- I, er, I regretted it the second the transformation began. It held, but-- the wolf could smell the burning and-- that's why I have so many new scars.", he paused, "I did this to myself.", he said bitterly, pointing to his nose.