Chapter Eighty One

next night

"Should we go out to eat? The next Order mission is in two days, we deserve it.", Peter grinned.

"As long as we're not drunk for the full moon tomorrow.", Lily reminded.

"Sounds good, Pete!", Remus responded cheerfully.

"Snuggly Duckling?", James suggested. Lily and Peter let out a cheer, as they headed out.

restaurant

They finished ordering, sipping on their drinks. "We're just sitting around doing nothing until the Order calls for us.", Sirius protested.

"Exactly! How am I supposed to become a teacher without university?", Remus asked, a chip in his mouth.

"And we're not even real aurors.", James added.

"Well, after he's defeated, we'll get to do what we want.", said Peter, reaching over for a chip.

"Cheers to that.", Lily snorted, lifting her glass.

They finished their meal, heading outside. Remus pushed through the door, turning around to laugh at something Peter said. He bumped into a man with a cigarette in his mouth.

"Excuse me.", Remus said politely, looking up at the man, who blew smoke in his face as he nodded at him, walking past.

He stumbled through the door, smelling the stench of the smoke as he breathed in the fresh air. A tightness enclosed in his chest, as he coughed into his arm.

"Remus?", Lily asked, walking up to him. "I can't-- Smoke. He was smoking.", he choked out.

Realisation dawned on Sirius' face, as he rushed over, as Remus bent over, coughing. "We need to get him home. Now.", he said urgently.

Lily let out a loud whistle, a taxi stopping in front of them. "I can't-", Remus choked out, his breath rattling.

"You're going to be okay, we have the potion. Don't talk, it'll hurt.", James said, as Sirius and Peter helped him into the taxi.

Lily told him the address quickly, handing him a wad of cash as he began driving.

"Water.", Remus croaked out, his face pale. Sirius handed him some, and he took it, drinking every last drop.

flat

Remus stumbled out of the taxi, Sirius walking behind him. "It hurts, Pads.", he choked out. Sirius kissed his cheek, murmuring in his ear as he lead him in.

Peter handed him the potion, and James tipped it into Remus' mouth.

"Oh my fucking god, that hurts.", Remus mumbled, after swallowing.

"Do you want anything? Tea, juice?", Lily asked, putting her hand on his knee.

"I'm fine-- sorry.", Remus mumbled. "Why are you sorry?"

"I-- Oh my god, make it stop, it burns.", he choked out, clutching his throat.

The other four looked at each other helplessly, not knowing what to do.

"Do you want us to stay here tonight? I can go get the blankets.", Lily offered. Remus shook his head, clenching his jaws.

"I guess that's a yes, then.", Peter smiled, as Lily brought in the blankets and pillows.

"You don't have to.", Remus whispered softly, as Sirius nestled his head into Remus' shoulder. "We want to.", James said.

Soon enough, all five of them were asleep, snoring softly. Remus let out the occasional whimper of pain, tossing and turning.