Chapter One Hundred Thirty Three

the next morning

Sirius woke up, his arm feeling like it was about to fall off. "James.", he hissed, shaking the other boy with urgency, wincing in pain as the pain shot up his arm.

"Padfoot, what-", James mumbled, opening his eyes, "Oh my god, your arm-"

"Please don't tell him, James, please, just help me hide it."

"Sirius-", James started, but then closed his mouth, waving his wand.

"I'm going to heal it.", James said quietly, but Sirius shook his head. "You can heal it later- just hide it before he wakes up."

"You'll get hurt, Padfoot.", James said, exasperatedly. "Just hide it."

"With what? A glamour charm?", James said said, clenching his jaw. Sirius looked at him, as though he had been slapped.

"I-"

"Oh, god- Sirius, I'm sorry- I didn't mean it like that."

"No, I know exactly what you meant it like.", Sirius said bluntly, taking his own wand, pointing it at his arm.

"You'll hurt yourself- let me do it.", James said quietly.

"Yeah, cause you're so good at making sure people don't get hurt.", Sirius bit back.

James paled, his mouth dropping open. "That wasn't my fault.". But Sirius was quiet.

"He was saving your life.", Sirius said, wishing he bit his tongue.

"Oh yeah? Like when I saved yours?", James said, pushing his glasses up.

"You said you wanted to- you said you did.", Sirius said firmly, his voice shaking.

Remus stirred, no evident injuries on him other than a small cut on his knee.

"Good morning, sleepyhead.", Sirius said, forcing a smile on his face, kissing the top of Remus' head. "Mhm, good morning Pads, Prongs.".

"Did anything happen last night- did I hurt you?"

"No.", Sirius lied, looking at James, who ignored him. A smile broke out on Remus' face, and Sirius felt a pang in his chest.

"Think my foot's a bit messed up, though.", Remus winced, limping, as James and Sirius helped him on either side.

"You two are quiet today.", Remus noted, as they made their way back to the flat.

"Just tired.", Sirius said, ignoring James, who nodded, staring stonily into the distance. "Okay...", Remus said, confused.

the flat

Lily, Marlene, Mary, Dorcas, Frank and Alice waited in the flat, the silence overtaking them. The knock on he door came, and Frank opened it to the three boys.

"How was it?", Lily asked, worried, as she ushered them inside. "The moon wasn't too bad today! I didn't hurt any of them and I'm barely sore.", Remus grinned, sitting on the couch.

"That's great, Remus!", Alice said, smiling at him.

"You and Sirius are quiet.", Frank noted, as everyone grabbed their presents, turning to James and Sirius. "Tired.", James repeated, shooting Lily a smile as she furrowed her brow.

Sirius reached into his pile, frowning as he read the name. "It's for Prongs.", he said tightly, practically throwing the gift on the ground. "Oops.", he muttered.

James glared at him, unwrapping the mug.

Best Big Brother, the mug said, in red and gold, the colours flashing with a spell.

The others stared, worried and confused. James softened, staring at the mug, before turning to Sirius.

"Look, I'm-"

"It was on sale.", Sirius said, regretting the words they came out, the moment they did. He barked out a laugh, James forcing out one as well, but Sirius could tell he was hurt.

James handed him his present, not looking at him. Sirius opened it, his breath catching in his throat. In the box was the friendship bracelet James made him when they were in second year, promising that they would always be friends no matter what. The bracelet had been enlarged, and was now in rainbow colours, the letters reading,

PROUD 

James lifted his wrist, showing the matching one on his wrist. "James-"

"I made it in five minutes.", James lied, feeling the pang in his chest, forcing out a laugh.

Sirius looked down, ignoring the stares of everyone else, forcing another smile.

The rest of them exchanged gifts, exclaiming in delight. James handed Lily a box, reddening, as she opened it, to a gold necklace with the shape of deer antlers on it.

"I love it!", Lily squealed, handing her gift to James, who kissed her, laughing. Mary grinned at the pile of clothes she got, trying each one on with her wand. Frank was awed with the Muggle coffeepot he got, and various other Muggle appliances, Alice laughing as she played with the camera.

Remus smiled at his large pile of books, laughing at the shirt James got him, that read,

I'm with the idiot

And Sirius' matching one,

I'm the idiot

Sirius gave Remus a book of his drawings, blushing as everyone exclaimed and praised his talent. Remus gave Sirius a pair of beautiful earrings, the moon and the star.

"Now I have to get my ears pierced!", Sirius grinned, waggling his eyebrows at Dorcas.

Remus reddened, the tips of his ears flaming hot. "I didn't- you guys got me so many things, I didn't have enough money-", he said softly, looking down.

"Remus, we don't care about that stuff.", Frank said gently, as everyone opened their framed pictures of them smiling back.

"Remus, I love these!", Mary grinned.

"We'll keep Pete and Alex's under the tree."

later

Their friends had gone home, Mary returning to Marlene's flat, and it was just the four of them.

"What's up with you and Sirius?", Lily whispered into James' ear, snuggling into him. "Nothing.", James lied, kissing her cheek.

"It'll- we'll be fine. Just an argument.", James said, after Lily shot a look at him.

"Want to talk about it?", Lily asked gently. James shook his head, "Maybe later.", he said quietly.