Chapter One Hundred Thirty Five

wales

"You need to stop running away from your problems, you're going back. They must be worried sick.", Remus sighed, as he walked to the corner store near his mum's old house. He handed the clerk a couple of Muggle coins, taking the paper.

REGULUS BLACK DEAD

"Fuck.", Remus swore loudly, running back to a deserted ally, disapparating quickly.

flat

"Oh my god-", James said, swearing loudly as the cup clattered to the ground. "James? What is it?", Lily asked, panic entering her voice.

"Regulus- he's-", James said, pressing a hand to his head. "We need to- Sirius, we need to find him.", Lily said, pressing a hand to her mouth.

James pulled out his mirror, flashing it upwards, waiting for a response. Nothing.

"Sirius?", Lily asked tentatively, her voice quiet.

"Lily? Is everything alright?", Sirius asked, his face coming into the frame.

"Where are you?"

"I'm- I'm by Greer Lake, why?", he asked, his heart pounding, Had something happened to James?

"Stay there- we're coming.", Lily said, her voice shaking. "What happened?", Sirius asked, again, but the mirror was silent.

"Moony, we'll send a Patronus to him.", James said, waving his wand, before following Lily out.

flat

Remus appeared in the flat, his face shiny with sweat. "Sirius!", he said, his voice echoing throughout the flat.

A stag appeared, glowing, and James' voice came through

Moony,

We're on our way to Greer Lake. Regulus is dead. Come quickly.

greer lake

Sirius furrowed his brow, sitting on his motorbike, as he saw James and Lily come towards him.

"If you're here to yell at me-", Sirius said, his voice tight. James and Lily looked pale, opening and closing their mouths like fish.

"I'm- I'm not here to yell at you.", James said quietly. There was the sound of footsteps, and Remus was running towards them, out of breath.

"Remus- what's happened?", Sirius asked, as Remus wrapped his arms around him. He smelled like chocolate and smoke.

"Have you been smoking?", he asked, surprised. Remus stared at him, paling, before turning to James and Lily.

They shook their heads. "I'm getting freaked out, what's happened?", Sirius asked, louder.

"I'm sorry, Padfoot.", James whispered, staring at him. "It's Regulus.", Remus whispered, and Sirius knew what he was going to say.

"What about him?", he asked dumbly. "He's-", Lily started, "He's gone, Sirius."

Sirius stared at them, his hands shaking, as he shook his head, falling to the ground. "No-", he said, holding his head in his hands.

"Regulus.", he sobbed, "Regulus."

"Come here.", Remus whispered, wrapping his arms around him, James and Lily joining in.

"He's my little brother- I was supposed to protect him.", Sirius said, choking on a sob.

Sirius' thoughts went blank, and he felt like he couldn't breathe.