Chapter One Hundred Fifteen

grimmauld place

"Padfoot, if you start to-", James started hesitantly. "I'm not helpless.", Sirius said bluntly, turning to James.

"I know that."

"I'm not helpless- but the second I see that house I am.", Sirius choked out, "I can't-".

James looked at him, not saying anything. "I need you to promise me something.", Sirius whispered, "If I- If I start to panic, and have an attack, you have to leave me."

"I'm not doing that. You sound like Remus."

"James, it's too dangerous. I could get Tonks killed, and we need to go now. Promise me."

"I won't. But we have to go now, I will help you if anything happens.", James said firmly, as the two of them headed inside the house.

The door creaked as they snuck in, and the entrance was empty. "They must be somewhere upstairs.", Sirius whispered, his heart pounding as he looked at the familiar house.

"We'll be in and out.", James said, his eyes scouring the place. Sirius' ears perked up, "Did you hear that?".

The sound of a girl screaming practically rattled the house. "Tonks.", James whispered, as the two of them stumbled over their feet, running up the stairs under the cloak.

Sirius barely had time to process the portrait of his mother yelling, the tears that slipped down his face. They approached a white door, next to it, the family tree.

James waved his wand, still under the cloak, waiting for it to unlock. The door unlocked, and they entered.

"Tonks?", James asked, throwing off the cloak to hold his wand better. Sirius grabbed it, holding it under his wand, his hand still trembling.

"Well.", a voice said, a slimy voice, that knew. The two of them turned around, wand in hands.

Sirius paled, suddenly not feeling so brave anymore. "Where is she?", James hissed, turning his wand to Walburga Black. She let out a cackle, pressing a freshly manicured hand to her mouth.

"Ahh, Potter. Playing the hero, I assume? Wanting to protect him? He can't do anything for himself.", she laughed. James' eyes flickered to Sirius, who deflated, not saying anything.

"Where is she, you bloody bitch?", James asked again, his face red with anger.

"Crucio!", Walburga yelled, shooting the spell straight at James. "Watch out!", Sirius yelled, diving in front of him. The spell hit him, and all he felt was white hot pain.

He heard Walburga cackle, and then stood up, gritting his teeth. James looked at him, concerned, but Sirius shook it off, stumbling.

"Seemed to have gotten uglier, Walburga.", Sirius grinned, shooting another spell at her.

Sirius looked at James, his eyes saying a thousand words. James knew what he had to do, throwing the cloak on himself.

"Where-", Walburga spat, dodging a spell Sirius shot. "It's just you and me, Mumsy.", Sirius said, blood dripping from his split lip.

james

James shot through the other set of doors, "Tonks?", he asked.

"Who said that?", a tiny voice said, trembling. James threw off the cloak, opening another door inside the same room.

A little girl, with a duck bill nose and blue hair was sitting in the room, tied up with magical bindings.

"Hey, it's me, James. Remember me?", James asked, smiling at her, and waving his wand to unbind the magical ropes. "I'm hungry. Where's my mommy and daddy?", she asked, twitching.