Chapter One Hundred Twenty Six

the flat

Mary had gone to Marlene's flat, promising to come back later.

"Red, we have to go! Mungo's!", Sirius yelled, panic entering his voice. "Mungo's?", Lily asked, her teacup shattering to the ground, breaking.

Sirius nodded, his lips tight, "Let's go."

st mungos

Sirius and Lily ran into the hospital, frantically. "James Potter and Remus Lupin?", Lily asked, her voice trembling.

"They've just been taken in. Room 57.", the receptionist said, pointing to a room close to them, and the two of them ran in, the door closing behind them.

Lily let out a gasp, Sirius following her. The healer was already inside, monitoring the both of them. "Oh my-", Sirius choked out, his face whitening as he stared at the two of them.

James looked better off. He was in the hospital bed, his eyes closed and his clothes covered in blood. Two bandages were wrapped tightly around his wrists, which were already stained red.

Remus, however, did not look good. A bone was poking out of his right cheek, and there were chunks torn out of his left one. His elbow bone was also poking out, and his torso was a bloody mess.

Lily could do nothing but stare, before rushing to the two of them. She kissed James gently on the lips, touching Remus' hand. Sirius did the same, but vice versa.

"What happened?", Sirius croaked, tears filling his eyes. "Mr. Lupin was attacked by a werewolf. It seems as though Mr. Potter was scratched by one, and his veins were torn with a knife."

Lily let out a choked sob, pressing a hand to her mouth.

"The two of them have suffered very serious injuries, and need to rest."

Sirius nodded, unable to take his eyes off of James and Remus. "Mr. Lupin's injuries are far more severe. Mr. Potter should be awake later, but Euphemia and Fleamont have been called, they asked us to call them if any of you are ever admitted in this hospital."

Lily nodded, her face tired and pale as she sat down. Sirius put his head in his hands, tears falling down his face. Lily swore loudly, wiping at her eyes.

James stirred, letting out a grunt of pain. "James?", Lily asked quietly, staring at him, using the washcloth to wipe away the dried blood on his face.

"Lily?", he croaked, his voice raspy and dry. "I'm here. Sirius is here too.", Lily said, kissing his forehead gently. James bolted up suddenly, letting out a whimper of pain, clutching his bandaged wrist.

"Remus-", James choked out, looking around wildly for him. "He's here.", Sirius said quietly, looking at James with his grey eyes. "I tried to-", he started, looking over at Remus.

"What happened?", Lily asked, taking his hand.

"We- we went to the tunnel, and Dumbledore said Greyback and Druella were trying to turn other people- into werewolves.", he swallowed, before continuing.

"Dumbledore said Druella had accidentally created this potion, one that would let Fenrir bite people- as a human."

Lily let out a gasp, and Sirius' eyes flashed with anger.

"We went to the forest, that's where we saw Greyback. Druella shot the first spell, but we didn't get hit. Then- she called you the you-know-what word, and I knocked her down."

"James-", Lily started.

"No, I couldn't let just her call you that.", James protested.

"Greyback grabbed Remus, I couldn't do anything, he had him upside down. He snapped his leg, and Remus let out this scream. I shot a spell at Druella, and she was knocked out.", James said, his eyes pooling with tears.

"Greyback grabbed me, had me pinned up against the wall. Remus couldn't do anything, he was on the ground. He had this knife-- he pulled it out, and it tore at my wrists, and I felt so weak."

"Remus somehow managed to come over to me, and Greyback was about to bite me. Remus grabbed Greyback, and he pounced on him. Greyback started biting Remus, I tried to get him off. By the time I had-"

James stopped, taking a deep breath.

"By the time I had gotten off, Remus wasn't moving. I had Greyback, and I pushed him against the wall, and I think- I slammed his head against the rock- I don't know if he's still alive."

"Oh my god.", Sirius breathed, as Lily didn't speak, just staring at him.

"That's not all.", James said, not looking at either of them.

"Mungos was too far away, and I was about to pass out. Think I had lost too much blood. There was a hospital I'd been to, St. Davids, that wasn't too far away. I apparated with him, and I didn't splinch. I looked like a madman, I was soaked in blood and had him in my arms."

"The doctor looked at him, and waved his wand, and looked at me. He told me that Remus was a werewolf, and I told him I knew that, but he needs help. They said they don't treat werewolves. I begged- I begged and pleaded with him, but he shoved us out.", James swallowed, looking up at them.

"I couldn't- I wanted to make him- to force him to help, but I couldn't. Remus' heartbeat was slowing down, and I couldn't waste time. I got here, and they took him in the hospital bed, and then I called the two of you, and I think I collapsed after that."

"I'm sorry, I tried my best- I couldn't get him off me. He- Remus saved my life- he was about to kill me."

"James.", Sirius choked out, doing his best to wrap his arms around him, trying not to hurt him. "I'm sorry.", James said, looking at Lily.

"What are you sorry for?", Lily asked incredulously, swiping at her eyes. "I- If I had gotten here first, he would have been better, and-"

"This isn't your fault.", Sirius said firmly, locking eyes with him. "If I had been able to push Greyback off of me-", James said, angry tears spilling down.

"Then Greyback would have bitten the both of you.", Lily said, her voice shaking.

"I could've- I could've let him, been a distraction and Remus could have gotten away and gotten help.", James insisted, his face reddening with shame.

"Do you really think Greyback would let you live? That Remus would leave?", Sirius asked, staring at James. He looked down, biting back tears.

"You're right.", James said, after a beat of silence. His face looked exhausted, defeated, and beaten down. Lily stared at him, the weight of the war really hitting her shoulders.

James was never defeated, never down, he was the cheerful friend, the friend that picked everyone up. "Look at me, James.", Lily said gently.

"You saved his life."

James nodded, still uncertain. Sirius turned to him, nodding, "Thank you.", he whispered.