Chapter Fifty Eight

dorm

"Remus, I think that we've studied enough.", James groaned, cracking his joints, "Look, I'm getting older.".

"You can go, I'll be there.", Remus muttered, the books scattered around him. "Moony, c'mon.", Peter said, "Besides, you're going to ace all of your exams.".

"I have to get perfect scores.", Remus said quietly. "Why?", Sirius asked.

"You wouldn't understand. You've got your last name, test scores won't matter for you.", Remus said harshly. "If you hadn't forgotten, I was disowned.", Sirius said coolly.

"Guys.", James said loudly. "Yeah, Sirius, I hadn't forgotten. You're not the only one with problems, you know.", Remus spat.

Sirius grew silent. "What's that supposed to mean?", he asked. "I'm a registered werewolf now. You think everyone's going to welcome me in with open arms?", Remus asked, an emotion flashing across his face.

Sirius didn't respond, he stood up. "Cut it with the pity party, welcome to the real world.", he said nastily, climbing into his bed.

"I've been in the real world, Sirius. I wasn't some rich kid before Hogwarts.", Remus said, pinching the bridge of his nose. Sirius didn't respond, pretending to ignore him.

James and Peter watched this, turning their heads between Remus and Sirius.

"When parents divorce, it's always the kids that get it the worst.", Peter whispered loudly, and James snorted.

common room

"Lily, get your arse over here.", Peter yelled playfully. Lily turned around, her eyes sparkling.

"Will you stop yelling about my girlfriend's arse?", James smirked.

"What do you gits want now?", Lily asked, smiling as she kissed James on the cheek.

"Fix them.", Peter said expectantly. "What?", Lily asked, confused.

"Fix Remus and Sirius.", James said. "You're still not-- together?", Lily asked.

"There's nothing to it. He just doesn't want me back. End of story.", Sirius said gruffly.

"Where is Remus?", Lily asked. "He's asleep.", Sirius said, softening. "He just needs time, Sirius, I'm sure.", Lily whispered.

"We got into a row yesterday. It was-- well, it wasn't good.", Sirius admitted. "What happened?", Lily asked. "I said some things I regret.", he said, pulling his hair back.

"Talk to him, he probably misses you as much as you miss him.", Lily advised. "You think so?", Sirius asked, his eyes pleading.

Lily nodded, and Sirius paled. "What if-- what if he just lost feelings?", he asked.

"He loves you.", James reassured, but he didn't know if he was right.

dorm

Remus woke up in his own bed, the dorm empty. He sighed as he stood up, letting out a yell of pain as he heard a crack in his back. He gritted his teeth until the pain passed, and he stood up again. He threw on a jumper, before heading down to the common room.

"Remus, that jumper looks a little small on you.", Dorcas smirked. Remus flushed.

He inhaled the scent, and surely, it smelled of smoke and dog fur.

"Sorry.", he said, throwing it off. He handed it to Sirius, without looking at him. "You can have it, you know.", Sirius offered. "I don't want it.", Remus said, with some difficulty.

"Oh.", Sirius sighed, taking the jumper.

James looked at Peter appraisingly. "Come here, Peter.", he said, and Peter followed.

"What if we pulled a little prank on our lovestruck friends?", James asked, an evil smile on his face. Peter smiled, "What have you got in mind?", he asked.

"Magical mistletoe. Bought it at Zonkos.", James said, pulling a sprig of mistletoe out of his pocket. "Whoever is under it can't leave until they kiss.", he laughed.

"Whoa, James, they're gonna kill us.", Peter laughed nervously. James laughed, putting the mistletoe in his pocket.

"Hey, lovebirds, look up.", Marlene snorted. James and Peter looked up, and there was a sprig of mistletoe above them. They stared at each other in horror.

"Absolutely not.", Peter spluttered. "Thanks, Pete.", James said grimly.

"Who-- why?", James asked. Lily waved at him, a grin on her face.

"You?", he asked, his mouth dropping open.

"Well, best get it over with, am I right?", James said nervously. Peter paled.

Peter closed his eyes as James leaned in, pecking his lips and pulling apart immediately.

The two boys wiped their mouths with their sleeves, spluttering as the barrier was broken.

The entire common room burst out into laughs, as James glared at them. "Not funny.", he said, and Peter agreed.

"Hey, you're Remus, right?", a sixth year boy said, walking up to Remus. Remus turned around and nodded.

"I'm Max.", he said, reaching out his hand. Remus shook his hand, "Nice to meet you.", he said politely.

"Would you mind helping me with this assignment for Defence? I'm kind of confused.", Max blushed, running a hand through his black hair.

"Yes, I can! Meet me in the library in a few minutes.", Remus smiled. Max nodded, before grabbing his bookbag and skipping out of the common room. "Sirius, can I have my bookbag?", Remus sighed.

Sirius gave him the bookbag, glaring at him. "What now?", Remus asked exhaustedly. "He likes you.", Sirius stated.

"I'm just helping him out.", Remus said defensively, "Besides, why would it matter if he does?", he asked, his heart speeding up.

Sirisu stared at him. "Why would it matter?", he asked, his voice getting higher. "I don't have time for this, Sirius.", Remus sighed.

Sirius watched as Remus stepped over the portrait hole, the door closing loudly. The students in the common room stared at Sirius, who was breathing heavily.

"James.", he whispered, the room blurring, "James.", he said again, more urgently. He felt James lead him to the common room.

"Count with me.", James said softly, sitting down. He stayed with Sirius, until his breathing was steady. "You okay?", James asked.

"Yeah.", Sirius said quietly.

James motioned Peter away, and Peter followed. "I got everyone to leave the Common Room, it'll be empty.", he insisted, and Peter nodded, "Will it work?", he asked nervously. "Hopefully.", James replied truthfully.