Chapter Sixty Four

present-- exam hall

"You may start your exams-- now.", McGonagall said, waving her wand towards the giant hourglass.

The scratching of quills filled the air, and the occasional sounds of students tapping their fingers.

Remus coughed quietly, feeling a tightness in his chest. He shook it off, beginning his exam.

time skip

"Quills down!", McGonagall said briskly, "Thank you, and head to your dorms.".

common room

"How'd you lot do?", Marlene asked, jutting her chin to the boys. James shook his head, smiling, "I think I did okay in all of the subjects-- except Divination, Pete, you're a bloody genius if you get that.".

Peter blushed, and the students talked about their own tests, as the fire crackled in the warm common room.

"I reckon I did decent in Care Of Magical Creatures.", Sirius said, curling up against Remus. "Mm, well, I'm proud of you.", Remus whispered back, putting an arm around him.

"Bloody idiots, took you long enough.", Alice laughed, shaking her head. "Yeah? Remember how long it took you and Frank?", Sirius laughed as Frank snorted, "Not as long as it took James and Lily.".

"Oi, is anyone ever going to let that go?", Lily groaned. "Nope, going to tease you for it 'til your last breath.", Sirius grinned.

"And you lot said I couldn't do it.", James said cheekily, kissing Lily on the cheek.

"Well, James, mate, it did seem pretty hopeless.", Peter laughed.

"Well, Evans, James was mine first.", Sirius proclaimed, sitting on James' lap. "Oi, am I chopped liver then?", Remus asked, putting his hands on his hips.

"Course not, Moonykins.", Sirius chirped, blowing a kiss to him.

"How's the shoulder, Remus?", Marlene asked. "Ever the Healer, aren't you, Marly.", Remus said dryly, coughing into his shoulder

"It comes and goes.", he shrugged offhandedly. There was an awkward silence, as Alice cleared her throat. "I'm glad classes will all just be revision, though.", Frank pointed out, and everyone chimed in with murmurs of agreement.

"Bet Professor Moony is still going to study.", James laughed. Remus groaned, "Not this again."

"Did you lot see the paper?", a sixth year cried, rushing into the common room. "We just got out of NEWTS, mate, no more reading for us.", Frank joked.

The student handed the paper to Frank wordlessly, the smile dropping off his face. "What's happened?", Alice asked, reading over his shoulder.

Frank turned the paper around grimly, showing everyone the headline.

Werewolf attack in Lyndhurst, Hampshire. 70 dead, 50 bitten.

"Someone needs to get these monsters under control!", Justin, another seventh year, remarked. "They're not monsters.", James said firmly. Justin scoffed loudly at this. "They're humans every day except for twelve in one year.", Sirius said sharply.

"Tell that to the hundreds of people who died or were bitten.", Justin retorted back. "It's not their fault that they were bitten.", Lily said, her nostrils flaring.

"Yeah, they're not bad people.", Peter said. Remus was quiet, picking up the paper that had fallen.

"Bloody idiots.", Justin muttered, before stalking off angrily.

"Werewolves-- they're dangerous.", Marlene said meekly. Lily rounded on Marlene angrily. "Marlene. What would you do if I were a werewolf?", she yelled. Marlene stuttered, "That's different, Lily, you're my best friend.".

Lily stared at her. "Yeah, Marls, someone's best friend could be one of those werewolves.", she said quietly. "You're right. Sorry.", she said, hanging her head.

"Remus?", Mary asked concernedly, "You look really pale, are you ill?".

"I'm fine, thanks.", Remus said, offering a weak smile, coughing again.

Sirius and James looked at him, concerned, but he shook his head.

a few minutes later

Mary walked up to Remus discreetly, motioning for her to follow him. Remus did, confused.

"I know.", she said softly. Remus stared at her, his mouth dropping open. "Remus, the scars? You disappear every month, with an illness, and you close off from everyone when they mention werewolf attacks.", she barrelled on.

Remus cursed, kicking the stone wall. "Please, Mary.", he pleaded, "Don't tell anyone. I haven't-- I would never hurt anyone on purpose. Promise.".

"You git. Of course I won't tell anyone.", she smiled, reaching up to hug him. "Thank you.", Remus said, relief flooding his voice.

"I take it Potter, Black, Pettigrew and Lily know?", she asked. Remus nodded, "Yeah, the boys figured it out five years ago. I was a shit liar.", he laughed.

"Still are.", Mary laughed.

"Moony! There you are!", Sirius cried. "She knows.", Remus said, tilting his head at Mary.

"Well, of course she knows, Moony, we're not exactly subtle about it-- oh she knows about that.", Sirius reddened.

"Oh, Moony.", Mary said, realization dawning on her face as she pulled her thick, braided hair back.

"Took you this long.", Sirius smirked, making Mary respond to him with smack on the head.

"Mr. Lupin?", Professor Boltknox called, poking his head through the hallway. "Sir?", Remus asked, confusedly.

"Can I speak to you in my office?", he asked. Remus nodded, following him.