Chapter Seventy Eight

furniture store

They walked off the bus, Remus paying the bus driver. They walked into the furniture store, Muggle money in all of their hands.

"Remus, you and I will go for the sofas because Potter has no taste.", Lily said, rolling her eyes.

"I have taste!", James protested. "You wanted a green and orange sofa with grapes on it.", Lily said drily.

"James!", Peter said, offended.

"I was eleven.", James protested.

"Peter, come with me. Black and Potter can go together.", she said, smiling as she kissed James before leaving.

Sirius leaned over to kiss Remus, but then realized. Remus looked down. "Bye.", Remus said quietly, turning around with Lily and Peter, as Sirius waved at him.

James put an arm around Sirius, leading him to the bed section of the store.

"What kind of bed do you want?", James mused aloud.

"Think you should ask Lily, not me.", Sirius smiled, sitting on the springy bed.

"Oh, shut it.", James laughed.

Sirius looked over the aisle, bouncing on the bed. A familiar woman, who stood tall, and with multiple rings looked at him like a hawk.

Sirius' heart rate went up, as he stood up off the bed, staring at the back of the woman's head.

"Sirius? What's wrong?", James asked, stopping the bouncing.

"I- er.", Sirius mumbled, pushing past him as he ran past the aisles, stumbling past the aisles, ignoring James calling his name.

It can't be her.

But it was.

I can't breathe, I can't breathe.

Sirius shoved his way into a bathroom, closing the door. He slid down, resting his head against the thing. He felt his throat close up, clawing at it.

"Sirius.", James said, opening the door and sitting next to him.

"Okay, let's try and breathe. Can you hear me?", he asked calmly, taking his hand.

Sirius nodded, gasping for air. "I can't-- I can't breathe.", he choked out, squeezing James' hand.

James hesitated, before wrapping his arms around Sirius. He let out a hiss, clawing at James. "Let me go. Let me go.", he yelled.

"Listen to me. I read about it, closeness will help you.", James said firmly, not letting go.

Sirius stopped struggling, letting out a choked sob. "I'm sorry, I can't.", he choked out.

"What was it Remus did?", he muttered. He took Sirius' hand, putting it on his own chest.

"Do you feel it?", James asked. "I can-- I can.", Sirius choked out.

"I know I'm not your boyfriend, and you'd probably rather have your hand on his chest than mine.", he said, at an attempt to lighten the mood.

"I can't face her, James, please don't make me.", Sirius begged, almost deliriously, ignoring him.

"I won't make you do anything you don't want to.", James said, though confused.

"I-- I can't go back out there, James, I'm staying here.", Sirius begged, grabbing the ends of his own hair.

"Do you trust me?", James asked. Sirius nodded, almost imperceptibly.

"Do you trust me?", James asked again, more urgently. "I trust you.", Sirius whispered.

"Do you want to go home?", James whispered.

Sirius shook his head, clutching on to the ground, almost desperately, "We need to get Lily, Peter, and Moony-- she'll kill them all, please.", he begged.

"Who?", James asked, pausing.

Sirius shook his head, "W-Walburga.", he whispered.

James blanched visibly. "Sirius, are you sure?".

"Behind the beds. Get Red, Worm, and Moons. Please.", Sirius said, putting his head in between his knees.

"I can't leave you alone.", James said.

"I need you to. Please, James.", Sirius begged. James sighed.

"Fine. Two minutes.", he said quickly, rushing out of the bathroom.

He ran as fast as he could to the beds, peeking over the aisle. He saw a tall woman, her neat black hair pinned in a bun. She had several rings on her fingers.

James let out a gasp. "Sirius was right.", he whispered, turning around.

"Potter.", he heard a cool voice call behind him, heels clacking on the ground.

He froze, putting his hand in his pocket, fingering his wand. He turned around slowly, facing her.

"Why are you here?", he asked bravely, as her lips twisted into a smirk.

"Today I'm not here to do anything. Today. I just wanted to instill fear in him. I'm leaving this filthy store.", she announced, her cloak swishing behind her.

"See you on the battlefield, Potter.", she called, closing the door behind her.

James' heart sped up as he ran to the sofas, seeing a familiar short boy.

"What's wrong, Potter?", Lily asked sharply.

James caught his breath, winded, as Peter and Remus stared at him.

"Er-- It's Sirius. Bathroom. Walburga.", he said, before bolting to the bathrooms.

The three of them looked at each other, before running after James.

bathroom

The three of them followed James into the bathroom, Remus crouching down next to Sirius.

"Hey, love.", he whispered, putting a hand on Sirius' shoulder.

"Where's--", Sirius said, looking up until he saw the other three.

"Are you all-- my-- Walburga?", he stuttered.

"She was here, Sirius.", James said clearly, "But she left. She's gone."

"Gone?", Sirius asked, wiping his eyes.

"Did she say anything?", Sirius asked, his breathe hitching. Peter looked at James, curious. "No.", James lied, "She walked out when she saw me."

"Are you sure she's gone?", Sirius asked again. "She's gone.", Lily said, forcing a smile.

"Sorry. I'm sorry. I just-- I lost it.", Sirius said, looking at James.

Remus stared at Sirius, brushing a piece of hair from his face, leaning in to kiss him softly, putting a hand on his cheek.

"Rem, we can't-", Sirius whispered. "We're not in public.", he smiled, kissing him again.