Chapter One Hundred Forty Two

Remus had finally closed his eyes, Sirius curled up against his chest. He could feel the rising and falling as he breathed, in and out. 

James suddenly sat up, a sheen of sweat on his forehead. "You okay?", Remus asked gently. James shook his head, "Sorry- nightmare.", he sighed. 

"Want to talk about it?"

James put his head in his hands, "I keep-", his voice broke, "I keep seeing all of you, in battle. I go to help one of you, but it's too late. When I turn around, all of you- all of you are dead.", 

"James, that won't-"

"It won't?", James asked, and Remus' mouth dried when he saw the tears in his eyes. "I didn't think my parents would die before they got to meet their grandkids. I thought Stanley and Kingsley could be happy together.", he choked out. 

"I'm sorry.", Remus said softly, "But we have to believe it will get better."

James nodded slowly, pushing his glasses back on his face. 

later 

Sirius opened his eyes, his stomach rumbling. Remus was still next to him, holding his hand, rubbing his thumb against his wrist. "Good morning, sleeping beauty.", Remus said softly, looking down at him. 

"Kiss me, my prince.", Sirius grinned weakly. "Food first.", Lily said firmly, bringing him a bowl of noodles. 

"Oh my god, these smell amazing.", Sirius groaned, shoving them in his mouth. "Careful, there's a lot more.", Peter snorted. "So, how was my funeral? Any glitter? Rainbows?", Sirius asked, his mouth full. 

"Shut up.", James said, shoving him playfully. "Idiot.", Remus rolled his eyes. "I'm your idiot.", Sirius grinned. "That you are.", Remus said softly, taking his hand. 

There was a knock at the door, and Peter opened it. "Minnie!", he said, his eyes glinting. "Minnie, dear! How've you been?", Sirius said, grinning at her from the sofa. 

"I've just been to see Marlene. Merlin, Mr. Potter, if you ever do that again, I will kill you myself.", she said thickly, pulling Sirius into a tight hug. "If I die again you'll kill me?", Sirius asked, wrapping his arms around her. 

"Correct.", McGonagall said tightly, "This applies to all of you.", she said, turning to all of them.

"Remind me not to die anytime soon.", James snorted, pushing his glasses up. 

a few hours later

"D'you guys like my beard?", Sirius asked, jutting his chin out. "You look like an escaped convict.", Lily said, wrinkling her nose as she laughed at the look on Sirius' face. 

"Joking, Sirius, I think it makes you look posh.", she grinned. 

"Should I grow one, Evans?", James asked, rubbing his bare chin. "I don't think you can.", Lily grinned, sticking her tongue out. 

"I bet if Remus grew one he'd look like a professor.", Peter laughed. Remus groaned, putting his head in his hands as the chants of "Professor Lupin!", burst around him. 

"Professor Lupin, can I get some tutoring sessions?", Sirius asked, batting his eyelashes. "Professor Lupin, grade my essay!", James echoed, laughing. 

"I'm never going to live this down, am I?", Remus groaned. 

"Remus, you and I should make a club. We're dating posh rich boys.", Lily crowed, high fiving Remus. "You're married to one.", Remus pointed out. 

"And look at this ring I got.", Lily winked, flashing it towards him. 

"You married me for the money?", James said, in mock exasperation. "What else?", Lily grinned, shrieking as James chased after her, Peter turning red from laughing.