Chapter Forty Five

Remus Lupin opened his eyes, blinking at the light. 

"Moony!", James said, rubbing his eyes. "You okay, love?", Sirius asked, looking right at Remus. 

"Yeah, I'm fine.", Remus smiled. 

"Where's Rebecca?", Remus asked, after seeing everyone else in the Hospital Wing 

James looked down, and Lily excused herself from the room, ducking down. 

"Moons, she, uh, she didn't make it.", Sirius said thickly, swallowing. 

"What?", Remus asked, his breath catching in his throat. 

Sirius nodded. "What happened?", Remus asked, putting a hand to his mouth. 

Sirius shook his head, staring down. "What happened?", Remus asked, more forcefully, gripping Sirius' hand tightly. 

"You're hurting him, Moony!", James spoke up. 

"Fuck. I'm so sorry.", Remus said. 

Sirius nodded. "It's okay. It was his snake.". 

"Nagini?", Remus asked quietly.

"You missed Dumbledore's speech.", Peter swallowed, "Her funeral is tomorrow."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Peter Pettigrew snuck through the door, while everyone was asleep. He pulled out a mirror, speaking into it. 

"Hello, Wormtail.", Voldemort hissed. 

"My lord-- why do I have to do this?", Peter asked, and he bowed his head. 

"Wormtail, because I will kill you otherwise. You or your friends?", he hissed. 

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Flashback (so what happened in reality)

Dream (so what Sirius is dreaming)

Sirius was holed up in James' room, the two of them playing Gobstones. Sirius had just come back from Mungo's, after running away from home. 

The doorbell rang, startling the both of them. The two curious boys looked through the window, and Sirius heard his heart pounding in his chest. "James, that's my mum.", he said, his eyes growing wide. 

"Mum will protect you, don't worry.", little James had said, but he was scared as well. 

They watched as Euphemia Potter answered the door. 

Euphemia Potter opened the door, the smile on her face dropping. 

"Walburga.", she nodded. 

"Cut the bullshit. I know my son is here.", Walburga leered. 

"Your son is not here.", Euphemia said, attempting to close the door. 

Walburga raised her wand, ready to cast a curse. 

"Stop it, mother. I'm here.", a small voice said behind them said. 

"They've clearly been feeding you too much.", Walburga hissed.

"He was skin and bones before! You starved him.", James protested, looking at Sirius. Surely the boy he knew at Hogwarts, who was loud and reckless, would make an appearance. 

"Yes, Mother, I'm sorry. I'll do better. Please don't hurt Mrs. Potter.", Sirius said, hanging his head. James stared at him, shocked.

"Stay back, boys.", Euphemia Potter warned.