Chapter Twenty Two

The boys were sitting down in their hotel room, unpacking their things. "I think I'm going to go and get something to eat.", Peter announced, his stomach grumbling. "I'm with you on that one.", James said. "D'you want us to bring it up here?", James asked, nodding at Sirius and Remus. They nodded gratefully. James and Peter left the room, closing the door behind them. 

Remus was reading a book, and Sirius was lying down with his head in Remus' lap, thinking. Remus absentmindedly began playing with Sirius' curls. Sirius blushed, looking up at Remus, who wasn't paying attention. "Remus?", Sirius asked. "Oh! I'm sorry, Pads, I know you don't like anyone in your mane.", Remus smiled . "No- it's fine.", Sirius smiled. "Remus, we'll be mates no matter what, right?", Sirius asked, turning his stormy grey eyes to Remus' amber ones. Remus smiled. "Of course, Pads.", he said. "How do you know?", Sirius asked, sitting up. "We will, Sirius, I just know.", Remus said. "Do you promise?", Sirius asked. "I promise, that I, Remus Lupin, will forever be mates with Sirius Black.", Remus said, rolling his eyes playfully. Sirius stared at him, taking in his beauty. 

Sirius, Jack just broke up with you? And you're already thinking about kissing Remus?  

It's Remus, Sirius. You've been in love with him. 

He'll never be with you. Freak. 

You'll never know. 

These were the thoughts going around in Sirius Black's head as he stared at Remus' pink lips. "Fuck it.", he said, pressing his lips to Remus'. Remus pushed him back, wiping at his mouth. "What the fuck, Sirius?", he asked, his eyes widening. Sirius stared at him, realizing what he did. "Remus, I-", Sirius tried. "No, Sirius, stop. I have a girlfriend. What's wrong with you?", Remus spat. "Oh.", Sirius said, his voice cracking. Sirius got up, and headed out of the room, slamming the door. Remus sat down, putting a hand to his head. Remus wasn't mad at Sirius. He was mad at himself. He was mad at himself for enjoying the kiss. 

Sirius slammed the door, running into James and Peter with the food. "Whoa, Sirius, what's going on?", Peter asked. "I'm not having another panic attack like a freak, if that's what you mean.", Sirius spat. "Calm down, Sirius.", James said. Sirius pushed past them both, running through the hotel hallways. James and Peter stared after Sirius, James peeked through the doorway, seeing Remus curled up in a ball, crying. "I'll go after Sirius. You stay with Remus.", James said, setting the food down, and going after Sirius.

James ran, not knowing where he was going. He went down the stairs, and saw Sirius sitting outside in the rain, getting soaked. "Sirius!", James yelled, pulling him inside. "You're going to catch a cold!", James scolded, giving Sirius his jacket. The two boys sat down on the sofa in the hotel lobby. "What happened?", James asked, looking into Sirius' grey eyes. "I- I did something.", Sirius explained, casting his eyes down, "I kissed Remus.", Sirius said, looking back up at him. "WHAT?", James yelled, getting a dirty look from the receptionist. "Sorry.", he whispered. "So? What happened?", James asked, prompting him. "He pushed me away, reminded me of his girlfriend, and asked me what was wrong with me. It went great.", Sirius said sarcastically. 

Peter sat down next to Remus. "What happened?", he asked. Remus mumbled something that Peter couldn't hear. "What?", he asked. "I said- Sirius kissed me.", Remus sighed. Peter looked shocked. "Oh.", was all he said. "So? What happened?", he asked. "I pushed him away.", Remus said. "So, tell him you don't feel that way. You guys will go back to being friends, don't worry.", Peter explained. What if I do?, Remus thought, but didn't say anything. 

James and Sirius walked up the stairs, all the way to the hotel room. They opened the hotel dorm to Remus reading, and Peter watching something on the television. James and Peter looked at each other, while Remus and Sirius purposefully ignored each other. "Let's eat!", James said, pulling out the food. Peter pulled out a chocolate cake when they were done, lighting the candles. "Make a wish.", James whispered. Sirius closed his eyes. I wish someone loved me. He blew out the candles.

Remus couldn't sleep that night. He tossed and turned, until the crack of dawn. He eventually fell asleep, falling into dreams. 

Sirius stared at Remus with disgust. "You actually like me? It was just a prank!", Sirius spat. "Sirius, I thought-", Remus said, not believing it. "You thought what? That I liked you? A werewolf?", Sirius spat. 

Remus woke up in a pool of sweat. Just a dream,  he thought. The boys were getting ready to go sightseeing in Florida. Once they were all dressed, they stepped out of the hotel. "We need to call a taxi.", Peter said. Remus whistled loudly, making a taxi come to a stop. "Nice one, Remus.", James said, impressed. The taxi was bigger than a usual taxi, it looked more like a van. The four boys sat down in the backseat, and told the driver their destination. Sirius made sure not to sit next to Remus, turning away from him, as he spoke loudly to James. Remus stared out of the window, looking at the clouds. 

Everything seemed to happen in slow motion. 

Sirius didn't have his seatbelt on. The last thing Remus saw was a car swerving madly, and Sirius jumping in front of him, and the windows shattering, Everything went black.