Chapter Thirty Five

Orion Black fell down, the green spell shooting him in the chest.

Sirius shook off the spell. "We're outnumbered.", a Death Eater cried, as more members appeared. They all disappeared in a poof of smoke. Except for Walburga Black.

"What happened?", Sirius asked, dazedly. And then he saw Walburga and Regulus next to Orion.

"No.", he managed to choke out. He ran to Regulus. "You. This was your fault.", Walburga said, slapping him across the face. Her ring caught on Sirius' face, drawing blood. "I didn't mean to, I didn't.", Sirius cried, feeling like a little boy. Regulus stared at Sirius. "Please, Reg, tell her.", Sirius choked. "He was under the Imperius, Mother.", Regulus whispered. "You! Come here.", she said, grabbing Regulus' arm. "Sirius! Help!", Regulus cried, reaching for Sirius' hand. Sirius grabbed his hand, pulling him out of Walburga's grip as she disappeared in a poof of smoke.

Sirius stared at the space where she was. He felt his cheek stinging, but didn't do anything about it. James was the first one to reach him. "Padfoot, come on, let's go.", James said soothingly. Sirius shook his head. "I don't deserve to go back. I'm a murderer. No better than my parents.", he said numbly.

"Sirius, you can't believe that.", James shook his head. "Just go, James.", Sirius said.

James shook his head. "I'm not leaving.".

"Please.", Sirius sobbed, "Make it stop.".

"Come with me, Sirius, we'll go have a nice cup of tea in our dorm. Doesn't that sound good?", James said softly.

Sirius leaned against James. "We need to win this war.", he said determinedly. Regulus nodded.

Sirius stood up. "Goodbye, Orion.", he said, swallowing. 

"Goodbye, Father.", Regulus whispered.

He turned around and walked to the rest of the Order and Resistance, James and Regulus following him

The three boys went inside the tent, which Madame Pomfrey had set up to help the injured. 

"Peter!", James cried. Peter was a mess. He had some sort of Stinging Jinx, causing his face to swell up. "I look a right mess.", Peter said. 

"Sirius.", Lily said, moving over so Sirius could sit next to her. "I didn't hurt you, did I?", he gulped. "No, I'm fine.", she said, hugging him. "Sirius, it wasn't your fault.", she said softly. "Everyone keeps saying that but it feels like it was.", Sirius said, getting up. 

"Moony.", Sirius whispered. "Hey, Pads.", Remus said. "I did something horrible.", Sirius blubbered. "Shh, Sirius, you had no choice.", Remus said comfortingly. Remus looked at Regulus. "Sirius, no one blames you.", Regulus said quietly.

Sirius nodded. "I don't even know why I'm upset, he hated me.", Sirius said, wiping his nose. Regulus opened his mouth. "Oh, shut it, Reg, you know it's true.", Sirius said, his lips quirking up.

"Why did they attack the Muggle family?", Lily asked. "The Death Eaters were planning something, and they had walked into the clearing.", Minerva McGonagall said gravely. 

There was a silence. "They're safe, right?", James asked. "Yes, they're safe.", McGonagall said quietly. 

The dorms were warm and inviting, and everyone was tired. 

In Regulus' dorm, Barty was waiting. "You didn't fight, did you?", he asked. 

"I did, I was with my parents.", he lied. 
"So was I.", Barty said. "I heard what your blood traitor brother did.".

"Oh.", Regulus said softly. "You want to sleep here tonight?", he asked, clenching his fists. 

"I'd love to.", Barty said.

"Sirius, you wanna join me?", Remus asked, into the silence. After a few minutes, the smaller boy had crawled under the covers with Remus. "I'm sorry.", Sirius whispered. "Why?", Remus asked. 

"Cruciatus.", Sirius said, closing his eyes tightly. "Sirius, I'm fine, see?", Remus smiled softly. Sirius nodded. "It was just- hard to watch.". Remus nodded. "You had to go through that at home, didn't you?". "Yeah.", was all Sirius said quietly, "But I got used to it." Remus snuggled up to Sirius.

The two boys had fallen asleep, snoring softly.