One Hundred Twenty

later

Doctor Ram walked into the room where everyone was waiting, closing the door. The others stood up nervously, waiting for him to deliver the news.

"We started the surgery, and they both reacted well to the anesthesia. The surgery went well, and they are both resting in the ICU, as all the patients do after the surgery. They'll have a lot of pain on the incision for tonight and tomorrow, and they'll be monitored until Monday night, and then they can go home on bedrest.", the doctor stated.

"When can we see them?", Remus asked quickly.

"You can go right now, but don't wake them up. They need a lot of rest.".

flashback-- end of sixth year

Remus was bundled up, sitting in the Quidditch stands, watching James and Sirius fly through the air, whooping and shouting. Peter was off with Mary in the library, studying.

Lily went into the bleachers cautiously, sitting down next to Remus. "Lily?", he asked, raising his eyebrow, "What are you doing here?"

"I- er, I came here to watch Marlene.", Lily said lightly, sitting down next to him. Remus grinned at her, "Marlene isn't flying today. She hurt her leg last week, remember?".

"Oh- er, she told me that she- uh, I meant Dorcas.", Lily stuttered, avoiding Remus' gaze.

"Uh huh.", Remus smirked.

"You're here to see Potter and Sirius, hm?", Lily asked slyly.

"What? Yeah. I'm here to see James. And Sirius. But equally. Not any of them more than the other.", Remus fumbled for his words.

"Uh huh", Lily echoed, laughing.

The players touched down on the ground, heading to the bleachers. Sirius, James, and Dorcas came towards Remus and Lily, looking very sweaty and tired.

"Did you see that amazing play I did?", Sirius grinned, high fiving James. "I did.", Remus reddened.

"You did? Oh, you were watching?", Sirius asked, trying to be nonchalant as James grinned at him.

"I didn't know you'd be here, Lily?", Dorcas asked, raising an eyebrow. "I- I came to watch you.", Lily said, motioning at her with her eyes.

"Ahh.", Dorcas grinned.

"Hey, Evans.", James said, pushing his already messy hair back. "Potter.", Lily nodded, locking her eyes on his. "You did a good job.", she admitted.

"Me? Oh- is she talking to me?", James asked, looking at Remus, shocked. Lily let out a laugh, despite herself, "Yes, I'm talking to you. Good job out there.".

"Oh- Thanks.", James said, reddening. "See you later, James.", Lily said, waving as she walked off with Dorcas.

James looked at Sirius and Remus, "Did she just have a conversation with me? And I didn't get hexed?".

Sirius laughed, throwing his arm around James, "Progress, mate, progress."

midnight- that night (still part of the flashback)

The dorms were silent, except for the even breathing of all four boys. James jerked up suddenly, his eyes wide.

"SHE CALLED ME JAMES AND I DIDN'T NOTICE?", he yelled. Peter threw a pillow at him, "Go to sleep.".

"YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND."

"I'll understand better when it's not the middle of the night.", Remus snorted, pulling the covers up over his head.

"Help me, Padfoot.", James pleaded playfully, looking to his bed. "Sirius? Where are you?"

"Oh- I'm here.", Sirius blushed, poking his head out from Remus' bed curtains.

"Ahh.", James smirked, "Goodnight.".

present day- icu

All of them walked in, and Lily took a sharp breath as she saw the two of them in the beds, pale, and their eyes closed.

They sat down in the chairs, the sound of the heart monitor filling the silence. "Doctor Ram said that they had a bet on who would wake up first.", Fleamont smiled softly, touching James' hand, and then Sirius'.

"Of course they did.", Remus snorted, rolling his eyes lovingly, kissing Sirius' forehead.

Euphemia coughed loudly into her handkerchief, and Lily looked over with concern. "Are you alright, Mrs. Potter?", she asked, handing her a bottle of water.

"Fine, fine, just a bit of a cough.", Euphemia reassured, taking the glass of water.

The four of them didn't sleep through the night, sitting next to James and Sirius, waiting for them to wake up.

early the next morning

James stirred, his whole body aching with pain as he opened his eyes. He winced as he turned around, looking at the sleeping faces of his friends, Lily, and his parents.

"Did I win?", he whispered weakly, his voice tired, as he was unable to turn around and look at Sirius.

Lily's eyes popped open, smiling at him, as she kissed him softly, her lips soft on his as he closed his eyes. "How are you feeling?", Euphemia asked, pushing his hair off his forehead.

"I'm fine, Amma, you're smothering me.", James laughed, as Euphemia kissed his cheek, squirming as his dad did the same. Remus handed him a glass of water, and James took it gratefully, his hand shaking.

"Sirius still asleep?", he asked, letting out a hiss of pain as he turned around.

Peter nodded, his face full of concern. "Lazy dog.", James snorted, making Remus snort in agreement, rolling his eyes playfully.

"No one's defending me?", Sirius croaked dryly, coughing. He got up quickly, wincing in pain and clutching his stomach.

"What was the first thing the doctor said?", Remus asked, helping him lay back down, kissing the top of his head. "Don't get up too quickly.", Sirius muttered, grinning at Remus.

Euphemia and Fleamont fussed over Sirius, as he pretended not to like it, but had a big grin on his face. Lily handed Sirius the water, and Peter grinned at him.

"Thank you, Prongs.", Sirius whispered, looking at James. "No problem.", James smiled, pushing his glasses up.

"Mum, Dad, you've been here all month. Go home, get some rest. We'll write you.", James insisted.

"You two just got out of surgery-", Euphemia protested.

"He's right, I promise, we'll come see you soon.", Sirius said gently, hugging Fleamont as best as he could.

"You better.", Fleamont said, pushing his hair back. Lily grinned at James, she knew where he got it from. The two parents left the room, hand in hand.