Chapter Twenty Six

"Mr. Black just got out of the operating room.", a doctor said. "Is- is he okay?", James asked, rubbing his eyes. "Yes. He's awake.", the doctor said, as she opened the door. Sirius was in the wheelchair, leaned back, and had a brace on his neck. His torso was bandaged, and his arm was in a sling. He had what seemed to be a black eye. "Hey.", Sirius said weakly, waving with his good hand. "Sirius!", Lily exclaimed. "Hey, Red.", Sirius smiled. "Minnie! You came!", Sirius said happily. "Hello, Mr. Bla-Sirius.", McGonagall said. Sirius looked at the room door, as if he was expecting  someone else. "Regulus isn't here.", Lily said shaking her head, "I'm sorry, Sirius, I told him, but he didn't say anything.". Sirius sighed. "I don't know why I even got my hopes up.". 

Remus put a hand on Sirius' shoulder comfortingly. Sirius shook it off angrily. Remus looked hurt. "I'm sorry, Moons.", Sirius said tiredly. Remus smiled at him. 

Remus pushed Sirius' wheelchair out. "How are we getting back?", Sirius asked. "Portkey. Dumbldore made arrangements.", McGonagall said tightly. They walked-- well, Remus pushed Sirius to an empty clearing.

McGonagall made sure there were no muggles around. "Grab on.", she said, and everyone did. Remus held on tightly to Sirius' wheelchair, as they rose up, and landed in front of the castle. "Mr. Black, absolutely no mischief right now. You just need rest.", McGonagall said, as her mouth twitched upwards. Sirius grumbled something under his breath. "What was that, Mr. Black?", she asked, her hearing sharp. "Nothing, Mum.", Sirius scoffed playfully. McGonagall handed the boys some healing potion, and they drank it eagerly. 

The four boys headed up to the dorm. Sirius stepped out of his wheelchair, laying down on the bed. "I don't need that stupid thing.", he said, pointing to the wheelchair. "Can I take this stupid brace off?", Sirius asked, pointing at his neck. "Yeah, the potion should work, but Sirius, that neck brace is a fashion statement.", James smirked. Peter snorted. "Peter, don't be jealous.", Sirius said, sticking his tongue out.

Chloe came inside their dorm with Lily, hugging Remus. "Oh, I was so worried, Remmy.", she said, clutching him close. Remus smiled as he hugged her. Sirius fought to keep his face emotionless as he stared at Chloe defiantly. He was not going to let that smug grin stay on her face. "Sirius, are you okay?", Chloe asked Sirius, in a sickly sweet voice. "Fine, thanks.", Sirius said, in the same tone, staring her down. Chloe hugged Sirius, and slipped something in his pocket. Sirius stiffened. "I'll let you boys rest.", Chloe said, as she and Lily left the dorm. 

That night, Sirius opened the piece of paper Chloe had slipped in his pocket. 

You should've died in the car crash. 

Sirius looked around. The other three boys were asleep, snoring peacefully. Sirius quietly opened his window, sitting on the ledge, and letting his legs hang down. This was his quiet place. He came here to think. And smoke. Sirius pulled out a cigarette, and lighted it with his wand. Was Chloe right? , he thought. He thought about Remus. Why did he say it had been a prank? He sighed, looking down at the ground that seemed so far away. He took out the note, and touched his cigarette to it as he watched it burn. 

Sirius and his thoughts were interrupted as James sat next to him, closing the window. "Hey.", he said quietly. Sirius nodded at him. "That's bad for you, Padfoot.", James sighed, pointing at the cigarette. Sirius shrugged. "Can I have one?", James asked. Sirius handed him one and laughed when he coughed. "What're you doing here?", James asked, after a silence. "Thinking.", Sirius replied. "About Remus?", James guessed knowingly. "I- I really like him, Prongs.", Sirius said, "Is that wrong?". James shook his head. "Of course not. But you need to tell him.". 

-----------------------------------The next day---------------------------------------------------

The four boys sat in their Potions class. "Today we have brewed  Amortentia.", Slughorn announced. "I want each of you to smell your cauldron and tell the class what you smell.". "Mr. Potter?", he asked. James smirked. Lily put a hand on her forehead, but smiled behind it. "Well, Professor, I smell my friends, my broom, and of course, Lily Evans' WHO IS MY GIRLFRIEND shampoo.", he said, emphasizing. "Ahh. Young love. What about you, Mr. Snape?", Slughorn asked a very angry Snape, who looked ready to kill James. Snape grumbled something. "Apologies, Severus, didn't quite catch that.", Slughorn said, in his big booming voice. "I said I smell lilies.", Snape said, slamming his book and walking out of the classroom.