Chapter Forty Nine

Remus stared at the teacher. "What?", he asked, his heart pounding. "Have you not read the papers, boy? It's all over the headlines! Werewolves are joining him by choice. He has this potion, and he's giving it to other werewolves, it does something to their minds.", Boltknox said, surprised. 

"No-- I haven't.", Remus said, furrowing his brow. 

flashback

"Pete, is that today's paper?", Remus asked, reaching for it. Peter promptly stuffed it in his mouth, grimacing. "No.", Peter said, his mouth full. Remus stared at him. "Uh, okay then.". 

"James! Is that the newspaper?", Remus asked. "Incendio!", James said, and Remus watched as the paper went up in flames. "I was practicing.", James said, shrugging. 

"Sirius, where's my copy of the newspaper?", Remus asked, flopping down on the bed. "I- er- Snuffles peed on it, sorry.", Sirius said. 

Remus left the classroom, slamming the door. He stalked all the way to the common room. 

"There you are!", Peter cheered. Remus glared at the three of them. "Glarewolf.", James whispered. 

"Why did he ask you to stay back, Rem?", Sirius asked. 

"You've been hiding it, haven't you?", Remus asked, avoiding the question. "Hiding what?", James asked. 

"You know bloody well what.", Remus growled. The three boys stared at him, shaking their heads. 

"The paper.", Remus said, crossing his arms. "Remus--", James stuttered. "What? You couldn't possibly think I would never find out, did you?", Remus asked, his voice raising. 

Sirius shook his head, "No, Moons, we just-- we didn't want you to hear it from an-- er, biased source.", he said softly. 

"Bullshit. What, were you scared I would join him?", Remus yelled, knocking over the stacks of homework he spent hours on. 

"Remus, stop. Sirius is telling the truth.", James said. "You would never join him, Moony, we know that.", Peter said quietly.

"Do you?", Remus laughed. 

"Yeah, Remus, we do. We're trying to fucking protect you, alright?", James yelled. 

"You can't always protect me, James! We're graduating! I can't-- I can't let you throw your life away for me.", Remus yelled, his voice cracking. 

"You don't have to let us, Remus, we'd do it for you either way!", Sirius yelled. 

"And- what if he gives me that potion? Then what?", Remus asked. 

"Remus, you--", Peter protested. "I what? I'm not any different than the other werewolves who were forced, am I?", Remus yelled.

"You're here for a reason, Remus, Dumbledore chose you. He believes in you, and you can do great things, so why don't you believe in yourself?", James said loudly.

"Just leave me alone. Why do you keep giving me false hope?", Remus asked, his voice cracking on the last word. 

There was a silence as the four boys stared at each other. 

"James, I-", Remus said, flushing. "Forget it, Moony. You don't even care that we're trying to help you.", James said angrily, his face red. 

"Maybe we should all calm down.", Peter suggested meekly. 

"There's a difference between helping me and risking yourself, and you lot don't understand that!", Remus roared. 

"We do it because we love you!", Sirius yelled.