Chapter One Hundred Fourteen

the flat

"You guys can go without me, I'll be fine.", Remus insisted, struggling to get up from the sofa. "Moony-", James started.

"It's Halloween, and we've been planning our costumes for weeks.", Remus said, wincing at the pain in his neck, "I promise, I'll be fine here."

"We're not leaving you for some candy.", Peter scoffed. "Yeah, there'll be other Halloweens.", Sirius said, waving his hand, sitting down on the ground. He leaned his head up to the couch, smiling as Remus played with his hair. 

"You can sit up here, dumbass.", Remus snorted. "No dogs on the couch, remember?", Sirius grinned, winking at Lily. "Rydych chi'n asyn mor fud.", Remus smirked.

"it too, Sirius said, in lilted French, winking at Remus.

"Is- is this a thing now?", James asked, grinning as he pointed to them.

A flash of lightning flashed through the apartment, followed by a boom of thunder. "We should watch something.", Peter suggested, waving his wand, filling up a bowl with popcorn.

"Can we watch a Muggle film?", James asked, his eyes glinting with excitement, "Please, Evans? Please?".

"Which one should we show them, Lupin?", Lily grinned. "Pinocchio?", Remus asked, still lying down, "That one was one of my favourites.".

"Ooh, I like that one too.", Peter smiled. "Pinocchio?", Sirius laughed, "And I thought James Fleamont Potter was bad.".

"Sirius Potter.", James shot back, making sure not to use his real name. Sirius grinned back at him, reddening.

after the movie

"How did he go in a fucking whale?", Sirius asked loudly. "He's a puppet.", Remus said, rolling his eyes at him.

"His dad just went in a whale and he went in there to save him.", James said, tearing up, "And he became a real boy."

"Are you crying?", Lily asked incredulously, laughing as she kissed the top of his head. "Leave me alone, it was emotional.", James said, wiping his eyes and swatting Peter as he laughed.

"I have a mission.", Peter said, pulling out his flashing clip. "Oh, Pete- do you want me to take it?", James asked concern entering his voice.

"N-no, that's alright.", Peter said, throwing on his robes. Sirius handed him the mirror, "Good luck.", Remus said, "You can do this, Wormtail.".

later that night

Remus curled up against Sirius, who was still awake, circles under his eyes, as he stared at him. James opened the door, his hair messy, looking at Sirius.

"You're not asleep?", Lily asked, following behind James. "I can't.", Sirius whispered, not wanting to wake up Remus, "I keep- seeing him, on that table.", Sirius choked out.

"We can't sleep either.", Lily admitted. "Come here.", Sirius obliged, waving his wand at the chair, transfiguring it into a bed.

"You'll only need one, won't you?", Sirius asked drily, as the two of them climbed in. "Piss off.", James shot back, reddening.

"Silencing charms, please.", Sirius grinned. "Oh, like the ones you and Moony had to do in our dorms?", James smirked.

"Goodnight.", Sirius snorted, laying down against Remus. "Night.", Lily yawned.

the next morning

"Pete must have gotten held up, I'm sure he'll be fine.", Lily bit her lip, eyeing the mirror. "Yeah.", Sirius nodded, fiddling with his bracelet. An owl tapped at the window, carrying a piece of paper.

"Is Remus still asleep?", Lily asked, and Sirius nodded, his eyes flickering to their shared room.

James opened it, letting the owl in, opening the paper. "It's from Regulus.", he spoke. Sirius paled, grabbing the letter from him, his eyes scouring the words.

Help. At home. Mother has Nymphadora. Come quickly.

- R.A.B

"Sirius?", Lily asked, shaking Sirius out of his thoughts.

Just then, their hair clips began flashing. Remus stumbled out of their room, holding his hair clip.

"What's wrong?", he mumbled, looking at their pale faces. "Reg- he's at my- Grimmauld Place. Walburga has Nymphadora.", Sirius said, his voice shaking. James didn't know if it was anger, fear, or both.

"Mine isn't flashing", Lily frowned, furrowing her brow. "That's probably for the best.", Sirius whispered, as James kissed the top of her head.

order tunnel

A tearful Ted and Andromeda Tonks were in the tunnel, explaining what had happened, "We were just outside, and he- she just grabbed her, and disappeared.", Ted choked out.

"Sirius, Potter, Lupin. You three need to go and save her.", Dumbledore said, the twinkle in his eyes gone.

"Sir, just us?", Remus reddened. "All the other aurors are on missions, and I have one as well."

"Sirius and Mr. Potter, you will go inside, using your... resources.", he said, shooting a knowing look at James, who nodded. "Remus, you'll wait outside, and go in only if they need backup.", he ended.

Sirius looked down at his trembling hands, shoving them in his pockets. Remus and James looked down at him, sharing a concerned look.

"Sir, would it really be best to-", James started, but stopped at the look Sirius shot him.

"Can we leave?", Sirius asked quietly, as Dumbledore nodded.

outside of number twelve grimmauld place

"Sirius.", James whispered, as they apparated to the street across from his house.

"I'm fine.", Sirius said stiffly, trying to even his breathing. Remus shot him a knowing look, but didn't say anything.

"Okay, Moony, you'll do the Concealment Charm behind those rocks, so no one will see you. You have those lovey dovey pendants you gave each other, right?", James sang, cracking a smile as the two of them grinned at each other.

"I'll press three times if we need backup.", Sirius said, knowing that no matter what happened, he would not send Remus in there. He could handle it himself.

"Okay. Stay safe.", James whispered.

Remus watched the two of them disappear under the cloak, hoping that they would come out unharmed.