Chapter Forty Two

Thank you guys! Reg and Sirius weren't friends in canon-- so this is not following canon exactly, but most of it will. Any requests? Sorry-- I don't write smut. Fluff, angst, breakups? I'm going to include "the prank" in seventh year-- I know it happened in fifth, but again, not exactly canonical. Happy reading <3

Remus picked up his cup, to drink a sip of water. He let out a whimper and dropped the cup, clutching his hand. The water spilled on his lap. "Remus, you okay?", James asked. "Yeah. A slip of my hand.", Remus gasped, tears welling in his eyes. 

"You- you're with him?", she asked.

Sirius nodded. "What is this?", Vernon growled, "Some prank?".

"What?", Peter asked.

"Are you an idiot?", he asked, making Peter cower. "Don't speak to my friend like that.", James said, glaring at Vernon angrily.

"Are you friends with any normal people?", Vernon asked, waving a hand at Lily.

"My friends are good people.", Lily said, her voice getting louder.

"Sit down, everyone, let's calm down.", Mr. Evans said, trying to keep the peace.

"What do you mean by normal?", Sirius asked, looking at him contemplatively.

"Boys dating girls. Girls dating boys.", Vernon nodded, "You- you're not natural."

James jumped out of his seat angrily. "Sit down, Prongs, it's alright.", Remus sighed. Sirius just looked defeated. "Are you not upset?", James asked, shocked, looking at Dorcas and Marlene, and then turning to Sirius and Remus. 

"Used to it.", Sirius said, giving a weak shrug. "Tuney, you're not going to say anything?", Lily asked, her voice trembling with anger. Petunia stared at Lily, and then looked down. "Freaks, all of you.", she spat. "Petunia Evans!", Mrs. Evans said angrily. 

James focused on the glass in her hand. They had been working on wandless magic. He closed his eyes, muttering the spell. The glass shattered, making Petunia gasp. 

Lily looked at James, trying not to let her lips quirk up in a smile. Vernon stared. "The glass- he said something, I saw.", he stuttered. 

"Nonsense.", Sirius said, laughing. 

"Mum, my friends and I are leaving. Thanks for inviting us, it was wonderful, no thanks to Tuney and Vernon.", Lily said curtly. 

"I'm sorry, Lily, I'll talk to her.", Mrs. Evans said, wringing her hands worriedly.

They were in the living room, about to step into the fireplace. "Mum, it's not your fault. I'll see you soon.", Lily said, hugging both of her parents. 

"It was lovely to meet the rest of you, I'm sorry about Petunia and Vernon.", Mr. Evans apologized.

"It's okay, Mr. Evans, really.", Sirius said politely.

James knew he didn't mean it, his usually bright eyes were dull. They stepped into the fireplace, ready to go back to Hogwarts.

"That was a disaster.", Lily said, putting her head in her hands, back in the Common Room. 

"Remus what happened to your hand?", Peter asked sharply. There was a welt on Remus' hand. Remus winced. "The cups-  they were silver.", he said, not looking at Lily. 

"Let me see, Moons.", Sirius said, taking his hand. "Yeah that's bad.", Peter winced.

"I didn't know they were silver, I'm so sorry.", Lily groaned. "It's not your fault.", Remus said softly.