Chapter One Hundred

a few minutes later

The four boys, Lily, Euphemia and Fleamont Potter were asleep, the room quiet except for the sound of the heart monitor beeping every few seconds.

"Please- no, don't get him. Take me, please, just don't hurt him.", Sirius yelled out, panic evident in his voice. Remus stirred, opening his eyes confusedly.

"Hey, it's okay, Pads, I'm here. You're dreaming, love.", he said softly, touching his hand. "Rem?", Sirius asked, a sheen of sweat glistening on his forehead. "Shh, yeah, it's me. You're okay, I promise.", Remus said, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

"We can't-", Sirius stuttered. "Doors closed, besides, all we're doing is sleeping, right?", Remus winked. "Dirty boy.", Sirius snorted, moving over on the hospital bed, and Remus climbed into bed with him, putting his arm around him. "I love you.", Remus whispered.

a few minutes later

"James? You okay?", Lily asked softly, as he looked at Remus and Sirius. "I- I had to cast an Unforgivable.", James said, his hand shaking.

"You saved all of us.", she reminded softly, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. "I almost- I should have told him to shoot me instead.", James admitted, "But- I backed out. I was too scared, and I was- I was a coward.".

"Don't even- what do you think would have happened? You did the right thing. How could you have trusted him to just shoot you? He could've killed the rest of us, too. And- The other three of us- we wouldn't be able to get two injured people to the hospital in time. Don't ever call yourself a coward again, do you understand me, James Potter?", Lily said, in a whisper-yell.

"Y-yeah, you're right. Boy, are you scary when you get mad.", James chuckled. "Good.", Lily laughed, leaning her head onto James' shoulder.

"James?", Sirius whispered. "Hey, you're awake. How are you feeling?", he asked, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Forget me, how was the moon?", Sirius asked, looking at the sleeping form of Remus. "It wasn't too bad, he did get a cut on his arm. I think his ankle is still bust though, he was hobbling on it. He won't admit it though, you know how he is.", James explained.

"Did an-anything happen to you? I know you wouldn't have told him, but-"

"I got nicked in the neck. Just a scratch, I'm fine.", James said, ruffling his hair.

"You'll be bald before you're thirty if you keep doing that.", Lily said, trying to lighten the mood. "You're only with me for my hair then, right Evans?", Jams smirked.

"Well, of course."

"You could've dated me then, I have much better hair.", Sirius grinned. "I can confirm. Sorry, Prongs.", Remus said sleepily.

"This is an injustice to the Potter hair.", James said, mock offended. "Peter. Wormy, wake up, this is important!", he said, shaking Peter.

"What do you want?", Peter asked tiredly. "Who's hair is better, me or Sirius?", he asked. "Not your bedhead mess, that's for sure."

"MUM!!"

"What?"

"They said Sirius' hair is better than mine.", James mock pouted. "What is it with the Potter men and their hair?", she laughed, nudging Fleamont.

"I think my hair is the best.", Fleamont grinned, "But Sirius' is a close second.", he smiled.

"Are you picking favourites, father?", James gasped. "No, I love you both equally.", Fleamont snorted.

"That's a lie and we all know it.", Sirius laughed. He grimaced, pain passing through his gut. "What's wrong?", Euphemia asked. "No- I'm fine.", he insisted.

"Do we need the nurse?", Remus asked, concerned. "I'm fine. I promise. I just sat weird or something.", he said honestly.

"Someone named Regulus Black is here to see you? Is he a permitted visitor, Mr. Potter?", A nurse asked, looking at Sirius.

"I- I'm not-", he stuttered, and then nodded, as the nurse left the room. "I'm so sorry, I didn't- I just didn't want to use- I'm sorry.", Sirius said, his voice cracking.

"Hey, Sirius, it's okay.", James said, looking right at him. "It's fine, I think Sirius Potter is a great name.", Fleamont grinned. Sirius smiled so hard his eyes crinkled at the corners.

A knock echoed on the door, startling everyone. Regulus opened the door, dark bags under his eyes.

"Hi.", he said quietly, looking up at them. "Reg- are you okay? Did they-", Sirius asked, breaking the air of silence.

"I- I'm okay. I should be asking if you're okay, how do you feel?", he asked, looking down at his feet. "I'm- okay.", Sirius nodded. Euphemia smiled at Regulus, putting her hand on his arm comfortingly. This was too much for him, he burst into tears.

"Reg- are you okay?", James asked, surprised. "I- I'm sorry.", Regulus sobbed, wiping his eyes. "Come here.", Euphemia said gently, wrapping her arms around him.

"I just- I can't do this anymore. I don't want to be a Death Eater. I want to be on the right side.", he blubbered, "I don't want to die on the wrong side.", he said, in a quieter voice.

"You won't. We'll get you out of there, Reg, then you can come live with us.", Lily smiled. "Yo-you will?", he asked quietly.

"Of course.", Fleamont said.

"Did Walburga know?", Sirius asked quietly. "Padfoot.", Remus said, touching his arm.

"Sirius, I-"

"Did she know?", Sirius asked again. "She did. I think- they took you because they thought it would bring Professor Dumbledore.", Regulus said.

"Wasn't important enough for him.", Sirius scoffed. "Don't say that.", Lily said firmly.