Chapter Thirty

Remus opened his eyes, tangled up in his sheets. "Ahh, finally, he's awake.", Peter smiled. "How long was I out?", Remus asked groggily. "Well, it's about lunchtime.", James said, pushing his glasses up. "Remus, did you drink your potion?", Sirius asked, waking up. Remus shook his head. "Sirius, the note.", Remus said firmly, as Madame Pomfrey let him out of the bed.

As they walked to the dorm, Peter kept stealing glances at the potion in Remus' hand. "Sirius, I recognize that handwriting. Who was it?", Remus repeated. "I said it was no one, please leave it." Sirius pleaded. "If you don't tell us, we're going to find out ourselves.", James said. Sirius sighed.

 "I'll take this in the bathroom.", Remus said, locking the door to their newly fixed bathroom. He unscrewed the cap, and sipped the potion, swallowing it. This tastes different, he thought, as the strange liquid burned his throat. He let out a yell of pain.

"Stop, please, make it stop.", Remus whimpered. slumping to the ground.

"Remus?", Sirius yelled. Peter winced. "Alohamora!", James cast, and the door flew open. Sirius and James burst into the bathroom, where Remus was on the ground, writhing.

"Remus, come on.", Sirius said, shaking him. Remus whimpered. "What's wrong with him?", James asked frantically.

There was a sort of white foam coming out of Remus' mouth, his head was lolling slightly to the side, and his eyes were glassy.  "We need Pomfrey. Now.", Sirius yelled, as James scooped up Remus in his arms. 

Remus felt himself being carried as the boys ran with him in their arms. He opened his mouth to say something, but pain shot through his stomach. The last thing Remus saw was Madame Pomfrey's concerned face.

"Mungos. Now.", she said, sending a Patronus to the Mediwitches. 

"Second hospital in a week.", James said hoarsely, "Must be some kind of record.". They were waiting beside Remus' bedside at Mungo's, waiting. No one responded. "It's not fair. Remus doesn't deserve this.", Sirius said angrily. A mediwitch walked in, holding a clipboard. "Is he going to be okay?", Peter asked nervously. "He has poison in his system.", she said. "What poison? How?", James asked. "We're not sure, but it could be from anything, like if he had eaten any poison berries.", the mediwitch said. "When will he wake up?", James asked. "We're not sure. He's in a coma."

"Did Remus eat anything during the moon?", James asked. "Maybe.", Peter said, staring at the ground. Sirius punched the wall in anger, so hard it splintered. He swore loudly, examining his bruised knuckles. 

Three days had passed. The boys were forced to go to classes, but every chance they got, they came back to the hospital. 

McGonagall was in the middle of her lesson, when she noticed the three boys dozing off. She smiled sadly at him, they looked exhausted, with bags under their eyes. "How come they get to sleep in class?", a student whined. "Mr. Goodblack, you can come and sleep in my class when your best friend is in a coma, and you are collecting notes for his NEWTS and for yourself, and staying by his bedside without an ounce of sleep.", she said sternly. Sirius had awoken, and smiled softly for the first time in three days. "Boys, stay behind.", she said, after dismissing the class. 

The three boys came up to McGonagall nervously. "You boys know NEWTS are coming up.", she started. They nodded. "I'm proud of you.", she said softly, giving them a small smile. "Now. As much as I wish I could excuse you four boys from the exams, I cannot. Career path conversations are with me tomorrow. Give some thought about what you want to do. That is all.", she said, dismissing them. 

"Can I come with you lot to see Remus?", Lily asked, following them. They nodded, heading to the hospital. 

Sirius began talking to Remus, telling him all about their day. "Can he hear us?", Lily whispered. "Maybe, but we don't know.", James said, and they all began talking to Remus. "Please wake up, mate, we miss you.", James said, tearing up, as they left the hospital. 

James was the first one to step into McGonagall's office. "Have a biscuit, Potter.", she said, nodding to her tin. James took one, and took a bite. "Any thought in your career yet?", she asked. James finished chewing. "I want to fight.", James said determinedly. "What?", she asked, surprised. "It's not fair. I want to fight Voldemort.", James said. "Absolutely not.", McGonagall said, as white as a sheet. "I'm of age, Minnie! Why not?", James asked angrily. "Because, Mr. Potter, it's too dangerous!", she said. "Minnie, I mean no disrespect, but I will do everything I can to make sure my children live in a world without Voldemort.", James said quietly. He handed her a piece of paper. "We made our own group. It's called the Order Of The Pheonix. We can help.", he pleaded.  McGonagall sighed. "Do all of you have this same idea?", she asked. James nodded, "Remus wants to be a teacher. After fighting, of course. Here, at Hogwarts.". "I will allow it, but two conditions.", she said. "Number one. You should not leave the grounds to fight without a member of the Resistance. Number two. Don't die.". James jumped up and hugged her, catching her off guard. 

James stepped out, picking up Lily and twirling her around. "What's this about?", she asked, laughing. "Minnie approved.", he said, making everyone excited. "We don't start until Remus wakes up.", he said. "He's not waking up, he's as good as dead.", a student scoffed.