Chapter Eighty

a/n: so i just realized i never specified-- the kingsley in this story is not kingsley from the books, bc this kingsley is older. book! kingsley is this kingsley's son.

alistair manor, bathrooms

Lily stepped into the dress, pulling it on. She stared at herself in the mirror. Her red hair was pulled into a loose bun, two strands coiling at the edge of her face. Her dress was a dark sparkly blue, with tan heels. She had a black mask over her eyes, with silver sequins on the border.

She stepped out to where the boys were waiting for her, closing the bathroom door.

James' mouth dropped open as he stared at her, eyes wide. "Catching flies, Prongs?", Sirius smirked, Lily laughing at him.

"You look-- er, you look really amazing.", James said, rubbing a hand on the back of his neck.

"You look amazing too, Potter.", Lily smiled, as he put a hand around her waist.

"You two-- you look amazing.", Sirius said, clearing his throat. "Yeah, you look great together.", Remus nodded, his eyes red rimmed.

"Ready?", Sirius asked, pushing his hair behind his ear.

"Let's go over the plan. Lily, you and James dance together, trying to get information. Sirius and I, we'll dance around with other people, trying to find the Death Eaters.", Remus said softly.

"Got it.", James nodded, his wand hidden in his pocket.

"Meet back at the corner of the manor. See you later?", Lily said, to hugging Sirius and Remus.

"Stay safe.", Remus said, hugging James. They walked down the stairs, Lily and James going arm in arm, Sirius and Remus going down separately.

Sirius walked down, first blending in with the other guests. He walked down into the ballroom, walking to a tall woman with wavy brown hair and brown skin.

"Would you like to dance?", Sirius asked, bowing. The girl lifted her skirt, curtsying as she looked up at him.

"Love to."

They made their way to the floor, waltzing. "What's your name?", she asked.

"I'm-- Owen. Owen Reynolds.", he lied, smiling at her through the mask.

"Sasha. Sasha Leopold.", she said, her eyes twinkling through her mask.

"Any-- any plans for tonight?", Sirius asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Er-- I'm going out to celebrate.", she smiled, spinning around.

"Celebrate? Celebrate what?", he asked, confused. "It's my birthday.", she admitted.

"Happy birthday.", Sirius smiled, dipping her.

"Can I cut in?", another girl asked, this one with skinny with dark black hair.

Sasha nodded, Sirius turning to the new girl.

Remus walked up to a girl, putting on his mask. "Care to dance?", he asked politely.

She looked at him, the scars that his mask did not cover. "No thanks.", she said hurriedly, picking up her skirt and walking as fast as her heels would take her.

"Oh.", Remus frowned. He looked across the ballroom, at Sirius, who laughed and chatted as almost every girl in the room stared at him.

James and Lily twirled around the dance floor quietly, catching bits and pieces of the conversations twirling around them.