Chapter One Hundred Nine

police station

Snape had been taken into another room, where the officer was questioning him.

"I need an account of what happened.", Officer Francis said, furrowing his brow.

"Snape is a student who went to our school, he and I always had a rivalry.", James whispered, as Lily leaned on his shoulder.

"He was obsessed with Lily, and she cut ties with him. He showed up today, claiming he needed to talk to her. I was worried, and I saw him-", his voice broke.

He swallowed, before continuing, "He pushed her against the wall, even as she begged him not to. We came outside, and I shoved him off, and Snape attacked Sirius.".

The cop looked at them, writing down everything on a notepad. "She's in shock right now, can we leave?", Sirius asked, wiping his nose.

"Wait for one more minute.", the cop said, heading into the other room.

a few minutes later

The officer came back, looking confused. "He- he's gone.". Peter stood up angrily, "What do you mean he's gone?".

"The room was locked-- I don't know how he escaped.", the cop whispered,

the flat

"Darling, I'm right here.", James soothed, as Lily clung to him. "Let's get inside."", Sirius said, gritting his teeth, as Peter put an arm around James.

"James.", Lily choked out, tears coming from her eyes, "I didn't- I didn't know he would, I promise, he just- "

"Shh, I know this wasn't your fault.", James whispered, setting her down on the couch. "I told him no.", Lily sobbed, lifting up her tear stained face, "I told him no and he still-"

"He's a fucking idiot. I swear, I'm going after him.", Sirius snarled, touching his bloody nose.

"Sirius-", Lily said softly, "Don't.". "Lily, he-", Peter stuttered.

"I know, but we shouldn't sink to his level.", Lily said, her voice shaky. The mirror in James' pocket flashed, and he looked up, biting his lip.

"Is that Remus?", Lily asked. James nodded, answering the mirror. "Prongs!", Remus said, his face cracking into a smile, but then a frown. "Are you crying? What happened?", he asked, looking concerned.

James wiped his face roughly, reddening. "Er.", Peter stuttered. Sirius grabbed the mirror, "Hey, Moons, how's the mission going?", he asked, clearing his throat.

"Yeah, it's going well. We're camped out here. You okay?", Remus asked, still confused.

"Yeah. Had a nightmare, though."

"I'm sorry, I should have-", Remus stuttered. "No, it's okay.", Sirius said, offering him a half smile.

"What happened?", Remus whispered. Lily had fallen asleep, still shaking, as James stroked her hair.

"Snape was here.", James muttered, pushing back his hair. Remus' face darkened. "He- he wanted to talk to Lily, and she told us to stay inside. It'd been too long, so we went outside, and-", James' voice broke as he looked down.

He swallowed, before continuing, "He had her pushed up against the wall, and he was kissing her. She-", he stopped again.

"Fuck.", Remus choked out, a lump rising in his throat, "Oh my god-"

"Snape had a knife. Almost stabbed me, too. We went to the police station, but he escaped.", Sirius said quietly.

"Is she- fuck, that's a stupid question. Can I talk to her?", Remus swore. "She's asleep right now, but I'll tell her to talk to you later.", James said softly.