One Hundred Thirteen

the flat

Remus apparated back into the flat, wobbling. "Guys?", he asked, his voice cracking. James was the first to appear, wearing a yellow ball gown.

"Remus! You're back! I'm Beauty- er, Belle, and Evans is the Beast. Just wait 'till you see Padfoots' costume.", he grinned, and then frowned, "What happened?".

Remus sat down, steadying himself. "I-", he choked out. The other three of his friends walked in, wearing their costumes. Sirius was dressed as a sexy wolf, holding out a Red Riding Hood costume for Remus.

"What happened?", Lily asked. "I have to get registered again.", Rems whispered.

"You what?", Sirius asked angrily. "Why?", Peter asked, sitting down next to him. "Howard- he got arrested, so everyone who got registered under him needs to do it again.", Remus said, not looking at any of them.

"Bullshit.", James yelled, "Why are you being punished for what he did?".

"I don't know.", Remus said, almost defeatedly, "But I have to go now.".

"Yeah, just let us change out of our costumes.", Sirius said, pulling off his wolf costume.

"You don't-", Remus started. "We're coming.", Lily insisted. "We had plans for Halloween.", Remus protested weakly, "You can have fun."

"We're coming.", Sirius repeated.

ministry

The five of them arrived at the Ministry, walking to the receptionist at the desk. "Werewolf registration.", Lily said, quietly, as she pointed to the same back room.

Sirius put a hand around Remus' shoulder as they walked in, sitting on the bench.

"I'm sorry that you have to do this again.", Peter said quietly. Remus nodded, not looking at either of them.

A ministry officer walked in, her name tag read Lauren. "Remus Lupin, right?", she asked, waving her wand.

"Yes.", Remus said quietly. Lauren looked at Remus and his friends, "You know the rules, right?".

James nodded, clenching his jaw. "We'll be right here, Moons.", Sirius promised.

"Good.", she said, ushering Remus aside. Lauren confiscated their wands, and then waved her wand, creating the magical barrier. Remus sat down on the cot, clenching his fists.

She handed him the pill. Remus stared at it, his hands shaking as he swallowed it, the burning in his throat.

"Ple-", he choked out, the metallic taste of blood in his mouth. He coughed the pill out, scratching at his throat. Lauren waved her wand, sending the pill into a glass jar.

"This process will be more extensive, we have to cover up the other two bar codes and add two new ones.", Lauren explained. Remus looked at his friends, who looked like they were trying their best to be strong.

"Okay.", Remus nodded weakly. "Here.", Lauren said, handing him a rag, "Bite down on this.".

Remus took the rag, stuffing it in his mouth, as Lauren began to cover the bar code with her wand. The flashes of pain seemed even worse than the first time, and he couldn't control the screams that came from his mouth.

"Let me go- please.", Remus cried, allowing the tears to fall. "Sirius.", he choked out, begging for someone to help him. A strangled sob came from Sirius.

"I can't.", Remus sobbed, as Lauren's cold hands touched the covered bar code. "We just finished one, we'll cover up the other one, and then add the two new ones.", she said, her voice cold.

"I didn't do anything wrong.", Remus whimpered, "It's not my fault.". Lauren ignored him, waving her wand to cover the second bar code.

"Are you still there?", Remus asked, trembling in pain as the needle slowly moved across his skin. "We're here, we're not going to leave.", James yelled, fighting to keep the tremble out of his voice.

"We're done with the covering. Next we need to put the bar codes on, and then you're free to go.", Lauren spoke, her eyes steely. Remus nodded, unsure if he would be able to take it.

"You can do this.", Peter whispered, as Remus opened his eyes, his shoulders shaking.

Lauren waved her wand silently, and Remus waited for the pain to wash over him, biting his lip. "Wait!", a voice said. Sirius. Lauren turned around, almost impatiently.

"Can we sit with him, please? He's in pain.", Sirius asked softly, his eyes big. "It's against the rules.", Lauren said coldly. "Please.", James asked.

"Fine. You can't tell anyone that I let you do this. Only one of you can go.", she said, through gritted teeth. Sirius looked at the others, locking eyes, and Lily nodded.

"I'll do it.", Sirius said, raising his hand. Lauren waved her wand, and Sirius stepped out, almost running to Remus on the cot, wrapping his arms around the trembling boy. "S'rius?", Remus asked, slurring his words together.

"Yeah, Moons, it's me.", Sirius whispered, as Lauren waved her wand. "Home?", Remus asked, unable to open his eyes. "Almost.", Sirius said quietly.

The silver needle pierced the back of Remus' neck, leaving welts everywhere, as he cried out in pain, gripping Sirius tightly, "Stop her, please.", he whimpered. Sirius held him closer, swallowing his tears.

"Lauren- One just died, we give it to the family, right?", someone asked, knocking on the door. "The seven year old? They should be in the back.", Lauren yelled. James looked outraged. "Someone died?", he yelled.

"We have warned you before of the precautions.", Lauren said calmly, "You cannot go to sleep.".

Lauren waved her wand, continuing. "I'm so-", Remus choked out, his voice quavering, "I'm so tired.". "Moony, hey, remember, today's Halloween, we'll get some really good chocolate.", Peter said loudly, in an attempt to keep him awake.

"Mhm.", Remus said, his eyelids fluttering. His eyes closed.

Sirius paled, "Remus! Hey, Moony, Moons, we're almost done, alright? We're almost done, wake up.". Remus stirred, but didn't make an attempt to wake up.

Lauren reached out, shoving Remus off the cot. He fell to the ground, groaning in pain. "What the fuck?", Sirius swore, rushing to the ground.

"You bitch!", Lily yelled, banging on the barrier, James and Peter yelling with her. "I needed to wake him.", Lauren said coolly.

"I'm awake.", Remus sobbed, "But-". Before he could finish, Lauren waved her wand, finishing up the second tattoo even faster, ignoring the screaming.

"Done.", she said quietly, leaving the room, waving her wand. The barrier fell, and the three of them rushed to Remus. "Bloody hell, Remus.", Peter whispered, as he practically fell into Sirius, his breathing heavy.

"He's out cold, we'll try and carry him out.", Lily whispered, pushing Remus' curls out of his face, his face shiny with sweat. Sirius pressed a kiss to his forehead, hugging him closer.

"I- 'S okay, I can walk.", Remus muttered, his eyes fluttering open. "You can't, Remus, you need to rest.", James. "I'm a bloody werewolf, I think I can walk by myself.", he snapped.

"Sorry.", he sighed, after a beat, "I just don't want you guys to pity me. Thank you for staying, it can't have been easy.". "It's okay.", James nodded.

"Maybe I do need a little help.", Remus said sheepishly, stumbling over his feet. James and Sirius caught either side of him, helping him up.